Sambal Kampung

(03) 9663 2666

Sambal Kampung Melbourne Reviews

yadilitta yadilitta
Malasyan restaurant in Chinatown - Sambal Kampung Oct 17, 2010
Yes, it sounds weird having Malaysian food when in Chinatown, hehe.

Since I tried Malaysian food for 1st time, I became a fan of it. For my last night in Melbourne we were walking around Chinatown, but was craving for a good Laksa. Therefore we looked for a Malaysian place until we found 2. And we decided for the one that was crowded - always a good sign for a restaurant.

The place was small but charming. The decoration was cute but what caught my attention was that they've already started with the Christmas decoration when it was still October! Nevermind.

Not even after getting a table, the waitress came to take our order. We were waiting for another friend, so we decided to have an appetizer: Vegetarian Curry Puffs. They were very good. They weren't greasy and very well cooked. Also they were spicy but not hot.

When my friend arrived we all got our main dishes:

-Fish & Seafood Stir Fried noodles for vegetarian Vanessa. They were good!

-Sambal chicken for Andrew. I loved the sauce

-Laksa for me. It looked very good, although a bit different than the one I usually get in Brisbane. It was good, but not as good as expected. It was missing some flavor for my taste.

The service is great. The staff is very kind and helpful. They were very patient with us waiting for our friend and switching tables.

Maybe it wasn't the best laksa, but I'd like to try other dishes. It was a perfect place to relax and have tasty food after having been walking all day long.
outside