Samaria Gorge

694 810 7701

Samaria Gorge Crete Reviews

elisemckenna elisemck…
Samaria Gorge Greece May 31, 2011
Samaria Gorge: Actually rates as one of the best days of my life and i have had a good life :)

The gorge only had one day to impress me in but as it is an 11mile hike and all in all you are looking at around 8hours of walking and breathing in the majestic unworldly air of it all, then I suppose that's long enough to be fully commanded. If you are a little unfit or have any physical problems at the time (possibly you have injured yourself hurtling down a mountain on a snow board or something)then this gorge is not for you. I couldn't walk the next day.The village of Samariá lies just inside the gorge. It was finally abandoned by the last remaining inhabitants in 1962 to make way for the park. A lone cat wonders through there now but she looked happy. The walk ends in a place where you can buy melon and you can also drink mountain water on the way down. You will eventually end up on a beach and can take a ferry to well, you know, i cant remember...i just got on the boat and went wherever it took me :) Maybe you can do the same thank you for reading
annemw annemw
Great hike Jan 01, 2011
If you're into hiking, or outdoors stuff this is a great place to visit if in Greece/Crete. The whole trip takes up a good portion of your day, but it's pretty cool walking through a huge gorge. It can get really hot out, so come prepared.

If you aren't in decent shape don't try this. It's not a difficult hike, but you have to trek down into the valley, then it's about a three hour trek out. There were some 'older' people trying to walk into the gorge, and had trouble.
The hike
The hike
dodzia123 says:
Hi, you can leave your car near the entrance to the gorge at Xyloskalo or at the other its side at Agia Roumeli after getting there by boat. Unfortunately you will have to go back the same way through the gorge to get your car. Maybe that link will help
Posted on: Mar 22, 2012
annemw says:
Sorry, we took a bus out there so I don't know anything about parking. It's a pretty good hike and if it's hot out (like it was the day I went) you may actually like the bus ride better than driving after the hike is done!
Posted on: Feb 22, 2012
Shade says:
We are visiting Crete this summer with my friends and are planning to hike in the Samaria Gorge, but we don't know if we park our car at the starting place how can we get back there after hiking. Do you know anything about it or do you have any idea?
Posted on: Feb 21, 2012

Related Travel Blogs About Samaria Gorge

Crete Day 7
It was our last day in Crete and we wanted to do something special. We love hiking. There a some amazing gorges in Crete. Unfortunately the famous Samaria gorge is too far away from Matala so we choo…gorges in Crete. Unfortunately the famous Samaria gorge is too far away from Matala so we choose the Rouvas gorge
Hiking the Imbros Gorge
Hiking is one of our favourite activities while travelling. You see so much more when you explore your surrounding by feet.Before we left home, we researched the internet for some great places to hik…Crete is the Samaria Gorge but this one was too far away from our hotel :( While searching for an alternative…
Our flight was on time and there was no hassle at the airport so we were able to get to our Villa by mid afternoon.  I was located in the small village of Plaka, which is a 10 minute drive from …Samaria Gorge is located in south-west Crete and at 16km long is the longest gorge in Europe .  It begins…

Check Crete Hotel Deals