Salsa & Salsa

Cozumel, Mexico

Salsa & Salsa Cozumel Reviews

ahtibat17 ahtibat17
Eat Salsa and Dance Salsa May 27, 2013
We booked the Salsa and Salsa tour through Carnival Cruiselines, but I know the same excursion is alsooffered on other cruiselines, as well. (Also in Mazatlan and Los Cabos). This excursion was appealing because it was to show how to make seven salsas, two margaritas, as well as salsa dancing lessons. Plus, it was advertised as being a top-rated shore excursion.

The Salsa & Salsa excursion was expensive, at $80/person, and I'm not sure it was worth it. Our group was shuttled to a resort, and then led through the resort and underneath the road to the patio that overlooked the beach. First thing, our instructors, who were both very friendly, upbeat, and enthusiastic, showed us how to make the margaritas. A traditional margarita and a frozen strawberry margarita. I'm not much of a drinker, so it's not much of a surprise that I thought the margarita was a little strong, but even my sister thought it was on the strong-side, too (maybe it had something to do with the quality of tequila). The frozen strawberry margarita wasn't bad, but I still preferred the aqua jamaica offered when we entered.

Then, our instructors showed us how to make the salsas, starting with a very basic salsa, that we are familiar with, and then a salsa verde. Along with our partners, we followed the directions at our tables. Then, we were able to try them with unlimited chips, or the few cheese quesadillas and chicken taquitos served to us. Also on the menu were guacamole, pico de gallo, and then sweet salsas of mango/melon, tropical with pineapple, and rompope dessert salsa, served with ice cream. We were ableto spice the salsas to our liking.

After the seven salsas were made, the tables were cleared away, we were taught the basic steps of salsa dancing. I'm not coordinated when it comes to dancing, but I was able to keep up for the most part. There actually wasn't much time devoted to this portion of the excursion.

Would I recommend this excursion? Sure, but probably not on a first-time visit to Cozumel. This took up the bulk of the day, and I missed out on other things I would have liked to do. Plus, it is a little on the expensive side for what you get.

(I don't have pictures to include because my camera was lost on the trip.)

Check Cozumel Hotel Deals