Salem Witch Museum

19 1/2 Washington Square North, Salem, MA, USA

Salem Witch Museum Reviews

mwtlgray mwtlgray
Salem Witch Museum Dec 29, 2008
Overall, it was ...ok. A great experience for children who are studying the Salem witch trials. However, I did find it slightly boring, and not worth the $8 I paid to get it. I think maybe $5 would have been more appropriate.

All the tour is, is a 45 minute presentation. You go into this room and a recording comes on telling the witch trial history while lighting up was figures to help tell the story, once that is over you go into another room where they have 3 more wax settings telling about the different types of witches.

And thats it.

I'm still glad I went, because it is a piece of history, however I think they need to rethink there admission fee, its overpriced considering there is nothing to it. The most exciting feature was the gift shop.
pinchora pinchora
Mar 28, 2007
So since I went to Salem, Mass in March not much was open to see and do. Across from the hotel was the Salem Witch museum and it was built in an old church. There are two parts to the museum. One of them is a show dictiating what happened with Ann Putnam and her friends and the whole witch trials. The second part is the history if witches and the changing interpretations over time.

Now since I have a short attention span I did not last at this museum too long. In the part about the witch trial you go into where the santuary of the church would be and sit while you watch mock rooms light up going around the santuary. Inside of these mini rooms are mock set ups of the narration that are wax figures. so nothing really moves or grabs your attention. It was informative but my mind wandered.

In the second room the tour guide goes through the the history of the witch and our perceptions over time. In this room there is a time line on the wall dating back to prehistoric times to todays wican life. In the mock set up portion you will see images ranging from the witch in Hansel and Gretel to the Wicked Witch in the Wizard of Oz to Joan of Arc and John and Elizabeth Proctor of the Salem trials.

My favorite part of the museum was talking to the staff inside. There were 2 women and 2 men who were working who ranged in ages between 19 and 55ish. They all had so much information and were happy to answer them. If they didn't have the answer they would find it for you.

If I could do it again I would just talk to the staff and not see the exhibit.
Salem Witch Museum in Salem, Mass.
diisha392 says:
My friends and I did this same attraction when we were in Salem in '04. We weren't very impressed either.
Posted on: Aug 13, 2008
lilian lilian
Apr 20, 2006
If you've ever read The Crucible and wanted to find out how the witch mania started, or was just curious as to how a group of self-proclaimed puritanical people could kill over 19 innocent people for no good reason at all, then a day's trip to Salem is worth your time. There are many museums related to the witch hysteria of 1692 as well as ghost tours, haunted houses, and such, but the Salem Witch Museum seemed the most credible. It's essentially a 45-minute show, except there are no actors, only figures erected around the wall in different scenes of witch trials. A booming voice very vividly and engagingly relates the story of the trials while a light illuminates each accompanying scene in the room. Admittedly, the whole thing is a tad bit cheesy, but I went to learn the details of the hangings and was very pleased with the information given. Once the show is over, a guide takes you on a little tour of the museum. The exhibits range from clothing worn by modern-day witches practicing Wiccan in Salem to Irish/Welsh medicine-women replicas who are thought to be the originators of witchcraft. There are also photographs of the victims' houses, which date back to the 17th century, along with their addresses so you can go visit them if so inclined. The gift shop is terrific, and I picked up quite a few Salem and witchcraft paraphernalia. Overall, it is a really fascinating destination for history buffs, and if you can ignore the cheesiness, you'll have a good time.

Related Travel Blogs About Salem Witch Museum

a Crowded house and Salem Witch Museum
This time my friends Bernie and Nicole came up for a weekend visit and it was an easy decision to visit Salem. Salem is of course associated with the witch trials of 1692. I had directions printed fr…Salem Witch Museum which was another hour wait. We were placed into groups and stood around until it was our turn…
Which Witch is Witch?
Salem is famous for its Witch Trials/Hysteria in 1692. It started when three young girls went into a series of fits and seizures. They claimed to be under the influence of dark magic. They accused th… Witch Museum would begin.   We found a parking lot not far from the museum. I was looking forward to seeing a real witch. Salem
Witch Way To Salem?
Failing to see Cape Cod, we knew we had to make Salem. We drove back through Boston, making our way slowly past the "Big Dig" and in to Salem. Salem was a neat place, the buildings and home…Salem Witch Museum and sat through an interesting sound and light show. It told about the Salem Witch

Check Salem Hotel Deals