Salem Food Tour

Salem Food Tour - Starting things off at Gulu Gulu

Salem Food Tour Reviews

jenniescharm jenniesc…
Fabulous Food in Salem, MA Sep 14, 2014
Salem, MA is one of my favorite places on the North Shore. I've been there several times since moving to Boston and am always finding something new to enjoy. On my last visit, I explored the fabulous food scene on a Salem Food Tour.

Karen, our guide and the tour's creator, lives in Salem so she not only knows her local history, she goes to the places on her tours in her daily life. The tour focuses on the heart of Salem and lasts about 3.5 hours. All stops are small businesses that feature farm-to-table, organic and/or local products. Everyone we spoke to knew exactly what went into the products they sell, where it came from, etc. No chains or large corporations here!

Among our multiple stops, we enjoyed sangria, cheese and charcuterie at Gulu Gulu, sipped small vineyard wines at Salem Wine Imports, tasted spices at Salem Spice, indulged in both Pumpkin and Caramel Apple ice cream at Salem Screamery and sampled some of the best sushi in Salem at Opus. In addition to the restaurants and shops on the tour, Karen also pointed out other places to visit. These places included other restaurants, unique stores and a wonderful small grocery store, Milk and Honey - which sells the tastiest sourdough bread I've had in a long time.

Tours run year round except for the month of October, when Salem is taken over by Halloween Happenings. Tickets are $54 per person, and the included stops can vary by time of year and day of the week. If you’re visiting Boston, Salem is about 30-45 minutes away whether travelling by car, train (Commuter rail - Rockport/Newbury line out of North Station) or from May-October, by ferry (Boston Harbor Cruises).

Whether you’re a first time visitor to Salem or a repeat visitor like myself, I recommend taking a food tour to get the lay of the land while learning about both the history of this great place and where the locals go.
Starting things off at Gulu Gulu
Tasty treats at Salem Screamery
Sipping with new friends at Salem …
Closing with sushi at Opus