Salas Restaurant

(401) 846-7088

Salas Restaurant Newport Reviews

HuBison HuBison
Where the locals go for seafood in Newport Nov 20, 2010
There are a bunch of places to eat in Newport, but I wanted affordable seafood, and was told to go here. I was told it's where the locals eat and it wasn't far from main area. This place is not super fancy, but that's what pulls in their's affordable food in a casual setting when many nearby restaurant overcharge for seafood.

Salas is right on Thames street. It has a downstairs and an upstairs area. Their lunch menu has an assortment of fried foods, sandwiches, and other items. It's not an extravagant menu, but it was good. My food was served piping hot; I mean, it really musta went from the deep fryer right onto my plate and straight to my table. The fries were good; and I'm not really a fry person, they usually taste so starchy, but these were yummy.

Earlier in the day, I had met a local woman who said I HAD to have a "stuffies" before I left Rhode Island. It could be different in one restaurant, so you should ask before ordering it, but it a combo of chopped up clams, mixed with pepper and some sort of stuffing mixture and then it is served on the half clam shell. I am a picky eater, but it was fairly good.

Parking tip: During the low season, street parking is free from November-April (woo hoo!) During the high season, you will pay an arm and a leg to park in a lot or to feed the meter. Some streets have private parking that only allows residents-with a special sticker-to park there; all others could be towed and/or ticketed.
Encouraged by the locals to order …
That's Sala's