Saint Diogo Church - Sangolda & Guirim
Saint Diogo Church - Sangolda & Guirim Reviews
Saint Diogo Church - 16th century Church Feb 22, 2010
This church is dedicated to saint Diogo Patron of Guirim and Sangolda villages. This church was erected in the the 1604 A.D. this is the 13th of the 24 Churches erected in the Bardez taluka.
The distinctive features of this church are many. The main alter is dedicated to the patron St. Diogo and on either side is St. Anthony of Padua and St. Francis of Assisi. There are 5 other ornate alters located at strategic points in the nave. The alter on the left hand side is dedicated to infant Jesus and on the right is dedicated to Our Lady of Rosary.
There are 3 bells to this church, 2 belong to Sangolda and 1 to Guirim. The church also has 3 entrances to this church, 1 for Sangolda, Main entrance and other for Guirim.
There are many stories about this church and the people of the two villages. This one is of the 3 bells. As the church is shared between 2 villages, the elders decided that the villagers who install the bell will claim the rights. When they were working on the church it was very late and was decide that they sleep it over and start the work on the bells next day. The Gurim villagers went home but the cunning Sangolda villagers worked through the night and installed 2 of the 3 bells and rang them aloud waking both the villages. Hence Sangolda claims 2 Bells of the church.
Part of the Religious history of Goa travel blog
Part of the list Goa what to do where to go and see
1 / 1 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!