Sahyadri Spice Farms

Goa, India

Sahyadri Spice Farms Goa Reviews

Vikram Vikram
Overly touristy and a big bunker for Russians, but average fare and a good guide save the day... Nov 03, 2012
This was my first visit to a spice plantation farm in India, which is kind of funny as I'm Indian and I LOVE spices. Infact, when I was planning my trip to Goa, this wasn't even on the cards to begin with. But people at the resort said this was a must-see, so jolly well might as well go along!

The place, as is most places in Goa is hugely famous with European tourists. But whilst one would expect proper Western European tourists, we were surprised to see so many Russians, to an extent that the signage was both in English and Russian.

Being one of the prime tourist spots in the city that isn't a beach, and as per, I saw lots of busses parked, as well as private taxis. The path leading up to the entrance of the garden is a tad messy, but it gets better as you walk in. The ladies are welcomed with a flower garland around their neck and some kumkum on the forehead, whilst the men... well nothing! And we're then seated inside a little hut where we're served some kind of fruit concoction and some appetisers to munch on (really forgot what they tasted like, obviously forgettable).

There is a buffet style lunch - not the grandest, and worse if you're vegetarian (like me), but it was passable. The few odd items they had were very tasty. And the thing with these "health farms" is that they have very few offerings but bung on the "we cook healthy" tag (aka - no greasy expensive butter laden desserts).

Following lunch was a "spice tour" where various guides, trained in English and local Indian languages walk groups around the plantation. It was kind of cool for me to see the spiciest green chilli in the world which I used to get in my Zambia. It's also mighty tiny. We saw various spices, rather, their trees. At times, the guide asked us to guess which tree as well.

The tour lasted for a good 1 hour which was nice, except that after a while, it gets boring as all the plants kind of look the same (they all look like thin coconut/palm trees). The highlight were some European girls taking pictures of an elephant splashing around in the water!

After our walk, we were treated to some rather amazing bananas, and after being forced to "shop" in the souvenir store, we left, feeling full, tired and well, kind of relaxed.
The welcome sign
That's fruit, leaves and coconuts …
Our starter/welcome drink and some…
The lunch buffet
rsvpme says:
This is a very interesting review..Great stuff...
Posted on: Apr 11, 2013
cotton_foam says:
I love spicies too! :-)
Posted on: Mar 31, 2013
spocklogic says:
I visited a spice garden while in Kerala, India, and wrote a review on it. Quite interesting places they are.
Posted on: Mar 31, 2013