Saga Museum

Saga Museum - Nothing good will come of this

Saga Museum Reykjavik Reviews

wagslikeadog wagslike…
Must See Museum May 22, 2012
This is a MUST SEE site in Reykjavik if you want to learn more about Icelandic history!

It's located right in another city landmark: The Perlan. It's about a 2km (30 minute) walk from downtown and you can't really miss it, as it's in the big, mirrored dome on top of a hill.

It's 1,800ISK to get in and for that you get an audio guide MP3 player (available in many languages) and headphones that give a great chronological history lesson on the characters and general settlement of Iceland. Some fact, some folklore.

The exhibits are recreated scenes of historical figures made out of "wax", which rivals Madame Tussauds! Let me just say: They...look...REAL! Unless you get really close, you'd think that they were real people in costume posing in costume! In fact, there's one in a very strategic spot that fooled myself and travel partner, as we thought he was real!

There is a station at the end of the exhibits where you can try on authentic viking chain-mail, helmets and real swords, axes and spears/pikes. (The chain-mail is much heavier than I thought it would be!) Really cool, overall.

There is an observation deck & cafe with excellent views over the city with over-priced refershments on the 3rd floor, and a gift shop at the main door, of course.

If you're going to Reykjavik, this is 90 minutes well spent! Check it out!
Nothing good will come of this
NO MERCY!
Skallagrimm
Wags-Like-a-Viking
kat307 says:
Great review, I will have to go here when I visit Iceland in 3 weeks!
Posted on: Jan 20, 2014
wagslikeadog says:
For certain!
Posted on: Jun 15, 2012
e_w_richardson e_w_rich…
Icelandic History Aug 17, 2012
We went originally to go to the top of the Perlan to see a 360 degree view of Iceland but we stayed to go through the Saga Museum. My wife and I thought we knew a little about Iceland's history but were completely astounded by the depth and breadth of the history lesson provided. Included in the price of admission is a guided audio tour with headsets. There are 17 different "stations," and each station has a lifelike model depicting something from each saga.
mszoey mszoey
Nov 24, 2007
We were lucky the day we went the guy who created the Museum was there managing the site and talking folks through it. It is not a big site and he was literally collecting the money, setting up your MP3 player for the tour and then at the end running the store.

You can ask him questions and he has a film at the end that shows you how he made the Museum. It is a history of Iceland that you are shown as you walk from display to display guided by headphones that you wear. He did the museum and all the art work in his spare time as a hobby, he has a fulltime job in Advertising. All the sets were made by hand and very impressive.

At the end he has chain mail and swords that he will let you try on and take pictures in.

It is worth the visit and the price ;-) (1000 for an adult to go in, discounts for students and children).

Related Travel Blogs About Saga Museum

Touring Reykjavik
Kringlan Mall: it wasn't on my "list" of things to see in Iceland, but I couldn't find the famous Haklar anywhere and the mall was on my way back to Reykjavik from Hafnarfjordur. …Saga Museum 5 minutes before 6:00PM (closing time) but the ticket lady wouldn't let me in! I was pissed! She said she couldn't wait 30 minutes…

Check Reykjavik Hotel Deals