Saffron Restaurant

+64-3-442-0131

Saffron Restaurant Arrowtown Reviews

TYoungTX TYoungTX
Elegant New Zealand Cuisine Feb 08, 2005
One of my favorite New Zealand restaurants is Saffron, located in a former gold mining town called Arrowtown a few miles outside of Queenstown.

Saffron features a great menu featuring New Zealand cuisine. Lots of venison, rabbit, local seafood, lamb and beef. It's all served with locally grown produce with a style that is unmatched in the area. Be sure to try some of the locally produced Pinot Noir wines here, as they go superbly with Saffron's dishes.

Our group had the venison in a chocolate and chile sauce (reminiscent of a Mexican mole sauce), the rack of lamb, and the Akaroa salmon with crisp bacon and red wine sauce. All were really wonderful and perfect with our pinot noir.

I had one of the most amazing desserts here ever -- a goat cheese sorbet with dates and strawberries. It was savory and sweet and perfect with my port. Some of my party did not care for it -- I think it's one of those things you either love -- or don't at all.

Be sure to try the pub out behind Saffron too if you have time. They have a wonderful fireplace that is perfect for apres ski -- and serve the locally brewed Monteith's beer -- a truly fine beer!
The chef/owner, Peter, hard at wor…
Saffron dining area
mellemel8 says:
when i see you in KC, you need to lesson on taking pics of food. talk is cheap :P :P :P HAHAHAHA
Posted on: Jun 05, 2008
Vikram says:
Its when I read reviews like these I wish I weren't vegetarian!
Posted on: Jun 05, 2008