Krakow, Poland

Safety Krakow Reviews

Sunrise5 Sunrise5
Getting around Krakow at night safe Dec 19, 2008
For women travelling alone safety is always a point that should be taken into consideration. Therefore I want to give some tipps for how to avoid unpleasant experience in different places - in this case it's Krakow.

I don't know Krakow as well as a local. However, on my last trip there I also was getting around Krakow at night and besides I've heard this and that from friends.

In general, the centre of Krakow, especially the Old Town and the surrounding, are quite safe as there are always lots of people around and it is one of the wealthier districts. When I was walking there around at night, I was never harrassed. Nevertheless, when you go by tram, I would recommend to get a seat nearby the driver.

Concerning Kazimierz and Podgorze I have no experience. However, Kazimierz is currently the most popular place for going out and therefore I suppose it to be full with students also at night. So if you take care of yourself you shouldn't have problems. With Podgorze it's a bit different. I was there only in the afternoon. But even then, to me it wasn't inspiring conficence.

Nowa Huta is a large district in the east of Krakow built up during the socialism. It's a typical working-class district one can't exclude coming upon gangs and criminals there. Therefore I definitely disadvise to go there alone at night - especially as a woman.

Check Krakow Hotel Deals