Safety in Colombia

Cali, Colombia

Safety in Colombia Cali Reviews

jimdean jimdean
Safety Mar 09, 2011
I was not too worried about the threats in Colombia, the worst thing I read was that some travelers were held up, and beaten up if they did not give money freely. Basically, if you offered a fight during a confrontation, you got a fight- who could have guessed?

Anyhow I spent over 3 weeks mostly in Cali, finally I was approached by the wrong man. He seemed very friendly, greeted me, shook my hand, smiling all the while. I don`t speak Spanish and it took me a minute to understand that I was being robbed- he just kept smiling and being friendly, while suggesting he had a gun and meant to kill me. I played stupid, and tried to walk away, but on the other side of the street his accomplice was waiting, and he made it clear that they meant to kill me. After another minute, I finally gave up and handed them the money I had- it was a few hundred USD which made them happy and may have saved my ID and wallet from being taken also.

I never felt too threatened, but I`m told I was lucky as I dragged out this experience for over 10 minutes before giving them what they wanted. They were very experienced, and this happened on 6th ave, which is a great area for tourists. I`d like to point out that I spent a lot of time walking downtown and in San Antonio park alone, and while I wouldn`t recommend it or do it again myself, there was no trouble.

In summation go! Relax, enjoy the beauty and kindness of the country and the people, and if you walk down the wrong alley, just hand over your cash- and I truly believe the more the better to protect your other possessions, ID mainly. Think, if you only give them $5, they may be hurt and try to get something more valuable from you, too much like $1000, they may want your credit card, but a couple hundred dollars? I think it`s just the right amount to have to lose.
newbie says:
Thanks for sharing, sounds like a dangerous situation. But great advice for others.
Posted on: Mar 09, 2011