Safety in Bogota

Bogota, Colombia

Safety in Bogota Reviews

cthunder86 cthunder…
Safety Feb 27, 2013
I will try to dispel the myth that Bogota is a dangerous place

First least know some words in Spanish other than hola and adios. Unlike most areas of Central America and even the touristy areas of Argentina and Chile, English is not really spoken. You could get by speaking to only tourist if you wanted but what's the point in coming if you can't speak to natives.

For myself, during the day I felt quite safe. I did stay in the populated area of La Candeleria during the day. With all the university students around and workers I felt safe. No one accosted me or stalked me. In fact, everyone that I spoke to (in spanish) was extremely nice and was curious about where I came from. Shoot, If I would of stayed an extra week I would of been in a National Tourism Commerical for Colombia lol.

I wasn't flashing jewelry, I did take pics with my eye phones, I did take only a certain amount of cash during the day. When I was alone, I was in by nightfall. When I went out it was always with a group in a taxi or party bus. The night I went out it was with a large group and the place we went to was only several blocks away.

This was the first country where I saw both police and military men standing in public so that was new.

Check Bogota Hotel Deals