Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary

(0361) 971304

Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary Bali Reviews

mikeym mikeym
Monkey See, Monkey Do...Fun for Everyone! Feb 03, 2014
Great place to see and interact with monkeys in their natural habitat. They are free to roam, no cages to confine them nor chains to keep them down. Sometimes you even see them running around on the rooftops as you eat a meal at one of the many nearby cafés. There are a number of monks that maintain the area and the dwellers that reside inside the forest. A word of warning to prospective visitors, hide your valuables. Not from unsavory people but from these notorious little thieves. Don't worry though, you can usually bribe them with a banana to get your things back. I would advise going in the early hours of the day as it does get very hot and humid but hey it's a tropical paradise so I'm assuming you already knew this :)
andrejav andrejav
Monkey Forest Jul 19, 2013
Monkey Forest in Ubud is nicely designed and well preserved forest very close to the city center. Of course, there are many monkeys all over the place, but they seem to like this large threes and steady flow of tourists that bring food and chance to steal shiny objects… There is entrance fee around $2 and you can get different fruits to feed the monkeys. They are free roaming and they are not pets… I have seen few monkeys testing the humans by attacking them, trying to snatch different things from their hands, back… Surrounding is really beautiful with a path that takes you to the small river canyon and incredibly picturesque trees.
hayley_phoon hayley_p…
Ubud Monkey Forest Nov 23, 2011
Monkey forest is a place which you have to be there while you're at Bali, this place is so great and you're not going to miss it. Our Bali driver to us, the monkeys at the monkey forest and more tame and polite than at the Uluwatu.

But you have to becareful not to hold anything on your hand, because the monkeys they have a very sharp eyesight. I was holding a piece of tissue on my hand to wiped all the sweat, as i holding and walking, there's a little monkey walked over me, jump on my lap and grabbed my hand and opened it and took away my tissue,that's freaking scary, im scare but i think it's very cute lol..

It's a very very amazing place, you're able to see the monkeys everywhere in the monkey forest,along the streets, on the trees and in the pool. So cool!

You're allow to feed the monkey with the banana,but have to be very careful they would scratched the banana from your hand, so dont get hurt also they will be grab your hair, pull your shirts!, they pull my shirt anyway..
The entrance ticket to the monkey …
hayley_phoon says:
Hahahah really, me was scary at the begining but after i felt cute hahaa, that baby monkey was so tiny...
Posted on: Nov 24, 2011
iramalama says:
I got jumped on...the monkey would not get off my back until he was ready. Kinda scary!
Posted on: Nov 23, 2011
yuness yuness
'Sangeh Monkey Forest' Apr 08, 2010
Sangeh Monkey Forest is one of the famous tourist attraction in Bali are located in the village of Sangeh, Abiansemal district, Badung regency and is approximately 50 km or around 1 hour from the capital of Denpasar

By Perama bus from Kuta to Ubud for 1 hour and 15 minutes drive and it cost IDR 50.000 ( US$ 5 ) the scheduled bus time table to Ubud is 6 am, 10 am,1.30 pm and 4.30 pm. I bought a ticket from Kuta to Senggigi - Lombok and broke up the journey by staying 2 nights in Ubud, before continue my trip to Lombok on the 3rd day. ( The ticket from Kuta to Senggigi-Lombok it cost IDR 150.000 / US$ 15 )

I love Ubud, here I just rest and relax in the Ubud surroundings and see lovely the green rice fields also browse the Art market here. So,I want to visit one of the most famous attractions in the area is Sangeh Monkeys Forest, A walk of 20 to 35 minutes would get you to the Forest, from my hotel it took me 20 minutes. Your Hotels may offer Trips here also.

Sangeh Monkeys Forest is charmed by the inhabitence of hundreds of monkeys, which were once very wild, but since they have been mixing with many people and tourist they have become less wild...but still are to be treated with caution as they often interfere with the visitors because they often take possession of many of their belongings only to be returned when the monkeys were given a piece of food or by forest keepers who are trained to do this...Remember they still can bite if provoked. Sangeh monkey are well kept in this forest.

Sangeh Monkey’s also have several groups that each group has a leader and each group keeps to there only area within the forest. Arguably the king of all kings of the Sangeh monkeys dwell at the Famous Sacred Temple “Bulit Sari” at the Centre of the Forest

Sangeh Monkey Forest is a lot of overgrown nutmeg trees (dipterocarpustrinervis). According to information the nutmeg forest is hundreds of years old, even among the nutmeg trees there is said to be one of more than three hundred years old.
yuness says:
Posted on: Apr 09, 2013
rsvpme says:
Well done..interesting...
Posted on: Apr 09, 2013
janelle563eagle janelle5…
Free and super fun entertainment! Aug 23, 2008
The Monkey Forest sanctuary is super fun! I remember doing research before I left for my trip to Bali and this was definitely something I wanted to do. The monkeys are pure entertainment! The little baby monkeys were so cute and the women who give you the tour of the forest are very nice and very knowledgeable about the mammals. They are also very accommodating, willing to take pictures for you, and happy to coax a monkey onto your lap!

The visit to the monkey forest was part of a tour package that I paid for, but upon arrival there are no additional costs! If you'd like to feed the monkeys, which I HIGHLY recommend, you can purchase a small bag of peanuts for 10,000 Rupiah (the equivalent of $.10 USD).

Definitely take your time and enjoy watching the monkeys both around the plaza as well as in the trees. There are also bats in the forest that don't come close, but are very interesting to watch from the ground into the trees.

If you aren't a fan of animals, this is not for you!
hayley_phoon says:
thanks for the review, did the monkey snatched thing from you?
Posted on: Sep 13, 2011