Sabores Chileno

Miami, Florida

Sabores Chileno Miami Reviews

sirenn9 sirenn9
Feb 17, 2008
I was originally going to go to the location on Collins that the other reviewer on Yelp is mentioning, however it looks like that location does not exist. We ended up driving out to Sweetwater because we were really curious about it, and also we were having a craving for Chilean food, which is very difficult to find in California. The restuarant itself was very cozy and quaint, and the perfect lunch destination for a rainy day- which it was. I was very happy and excited that the special of the day was sopaipillas pasadas, which is a very traditional thing to eat on cold, rainy days. Sopaipillas are kind of like doughnuts, but made from pumpkin. They are then in immersed into a thick sauce made of molasses, oranges and cinnamon- it's the ultimate comfort food. In the end, I ordered sopaipillas, empanadas de carne (beef) and marisco (seafood). We also had empanadas de queso (cheese) for our table and a nice little bowl of pebre (Chilean salsa made with tomatoes, onions, cilantro and aji. Aji, by the way, is a Chilean chili pepper). Oh, and of course we got a little basket of pan amasado (Chilean-style bread).

I was really impressed with the amount of items on the menu. They had everything from humitas, which we tried and were delicious, to "Cachantun" brand mineral water, to sopa marinera (my friend ordered this and she said it was ok but too "fishy"). From what I could tell, though, everything was cooked in a very, traditional way.

The service was fantastic at this small, family run-restaurant and the waitresses were really friendly. The restaurant also features a small grocery store and they carry a lot of hard to find Chilean items (turron de mani, queso mantecoso, pure de lucuma, manjar, a good selection of Chilean jams, dulce de membrillos, zuko juices, maggi soups, a good selection of Chilean wine, among other things) and also features a section of fresh bakery/dessert items, including alfajores, brazo de reina, torta mil hojas, dulces chilenos, flan, etc. The store also carries Chilean movies, magazines, crafts, and other memorabilia-type items.

If you are Chilean and feeling nostalgic, Sabores Chileno is a great place to go!! Too bad there is nothing like this in California!

Check Miami Hotel Deals