Saalfelder Feengrotten

www.feengrotten.de - 03671/5504 ext. 0

Saalfelder Feengrotten Saalfeld an der Saale Reviews

missandrea81 missandr…
Down under Jun 22, 2009
I visited these grottoes mainly to get out of the rain. Now don't think I didn't enjoy myself. Although not being allowed to take pictures took the fun out of it a little bit. They shut off the lights after the each part of the tour so you can't even hang back to snap a few. lol Smart folks those miners.

Before you go inside you are asked to put on a cloak to protect your clothes from getting dirty from the ocher water which spills out of the walls in some places. We were told that no Mr. Clean in the world would get those stains out again.

The tour starts with a bit of history about these mines where back in the day Alum, Vitriol and Ocher were being mined. Later turned into a mineral spring because of the special contents in the water.

Since 1993 in the Guinness Book of Records for being the most color rich cave/grotto in the world.

For more info

I really enjoyed the visit. I like caves and such. There is one part of the tour that gets a bit cramped, walking through a mining shaft.

Not good if you're claustrophobic. ;)

I'd go here again. 8 Euro for the tour and a free gift (little cristal peeble).
The large grotto

Related Travel Blogs About Saalfelder Feengrotten

Saalfelder Feengrotten / Saalfeld
Another rainy day in Thuringia. Instead of running through the woods for more mushrooms or being stuck in the car all day, we decided to venture underground. We visited the Fairygrottos of Saalfeld. … Another rainy day in Thuringia. Instead of running through the woods for more mushrooms or being stuck in the car…
Saalfelder Feengrotten  Map