SF MOMA (Museum of Modern Art)

151 Third Street (between Mission and Howard Streets), San Francisco, CA, USA
www.sfmoma.org - (415) 357-4000

SF MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) San Francisco Reviews

cari cari
Jul 19, 2006
It pays to go to school.Not only will you get half off your admission ticket ($7 instead of $13), you might actually understand what the heck is going on inside the museum.Now, I love modern art. I have a degree in art. But this is not the greatest modern art museum I have ever seen, nor did I enjoy it very much. What makes this museum is a combination of excellent special exhibits (in our case, Matthew Barney) and important "milestone" works from the last couple of decades. If you need to do some research, go ahead and check out their collections of Matisse, Klee, and Picasso. But if you're looking to see something you haven't already seen in your art history textbook, you might want to wait until a special exhibit you're interested in rolls around.The museum is kind of small, and limited mostly to paintings - you won't find much sculpture or video here. And yet it still retains a big-city, sterile, don't-touch-the-artwork feeling. To be sure, there are some important pieces here - the "R. Mutt" urinal comes to mind - but it's nothing you haven't seen before, and probably nothing you need to see again.
peterbarkley peterbar…
Sep 08, 2006
We enjoyed much of the SF MOMA, but I'm not sure that it ranks up there with most of the modern art museums we've seen. I really liked the works by Diego Rivera and found the photography of Hollywood Blvd taken at 50 year intervals to be fascinating as well. The current exhibition really didn't do much for me though and put a bit of a damper on the visit. Their photography gallery is large and interesting, as is their display of furniture and concert advertisements.

Check San Francisco Hotel Deals