SA ZA - Serious Italian Food

www.sazapizza.com - (334) 495-7292

SA ZA - Serious Italian Food Montgomery Reviews

jennjeff1 jennjeff1
Serious Italian Food in Downtown Montgomery Jul 28, 2012
SA ZA is a combination of old time "peasant" cuisine with a modern flair added. I think I had been to the predecessor of SA ZA in 1998 and 2000 since the satff told me SA ZA had only been there for a couple of years. Still, the decor looked familiar and it was about the same location downtwon that I remembered, in the Alley on the coner of Commerce with only street parking available nearby.

SA ZA was PACKED solid on Saturday night with 20-60 minutes for a wait time to be seated, unless you had reservations, so receommend you call ahead to reserve a table. We chose not to wait and grabbed a couple of stools at the bar because we were starving hungry. This place has grown to be quite popular with locals and tourists alike!

I started with the “Eggs in Purgatory” made with fresh organic eggs poached in marinara with extra virgin olive oil, chilies, reggiano cheese, fresh herbs and served with SA ZA’s garlic styx for dipping. Both the spicy eggs in marinara sauce and the garlic styx were exceptional--I even finished off the garlic styx of my friend who ordered them in addition to the huge 16-inch feta cheese and tomato pizza. My meal paired nicely with a Chianti Classico from Tuscany, although this wine was only avilable by the bottle. There were several other wine varietals that were available by the glass.

The bar was well-stocked and had plenty of choices--even for draft beer. The bar actually extends out into the alley and there were outdoor sidewalk seating avaialble if we did not want to sit at the bar or wait for an indoor table--but it was pretty hot outside in late July so we remained at the indoor bar the whole time. Service was a little slow but I just chalked that up to how busy and packed the place was--plus the food quality and quantity made up for it easily for me.

My friend ordered one of the 8-10 specialty pizzas, but guests can also create their own pizza from a choice of over 40 different toppings! The decor was bold and the open kitchen view was interesting....

I heard they have more than one location now...but we did not visit the other locations and I did not see that info on the website.

I would definitely receommend SA ZA's for anyone craving serious Italian food in the Montgomery area!
SA ZA's “Eggs in Purgatory” ma…
SA ZA's open kitchen.
SA Za's decor.
SA ZA's bar that opens out into Th…

Check Montgomery Hotel Deals