Ryokan Asakusa Shigetsu Hotel Tokyo

Ryokan Asakusa Shigetsu Hotel Tokyo Rates and Deals

Ryokan Asakusa Shigetsu Hotel Tokyo Reviews

ann-e ann-e
Friendly ryokan in Asakusa Mar 04, 2011
I was lucky last year and got stuck in Japan when the Icelandic volcano was going on. So after my 3 weeks journey in Japan (from Tokyo down to Kyushu), I had to stay an additional week. What a treat. While some were desperate, I was just smiling :)

So I had to find a new accommodation. I went to the tourist desk at Narita airport (don't confuse it with the hotel desk, which was not very useful at the time), and after I told them what I was looking for, they booked me at RYOKAN SHIGETSU in Asakusa. It was spot on.

I booked a Japanese style room, and first I had only a toilet in my room. A couple of days later I was able to move to another room with a full bathroom. I immediately found the ryokan comfortable and cozy, with a very helpful staff. I decided to stay there until the volcano issue was solved, and use my time exploring Tokyo. So it was a bit over a week. Useless to say that the ladies behind the desk had to answer to my many questions, and they were always glad to help! It was nice every day to come back to my room to find it tidied, and always with green tea and bottled water, and pass by the reception and be welcomed with a smile.

For breakfast there was choice between western style and japanese style breakfast. Well I had Japanese breakfast all along, so no reason to change. It was an extra motivation for me to get up early.

If you don't have a bath in your room, there is a bathroom upstairs with a common bathtub (men and women separate, of course), it is not that large, but it was just a matter to find a time when it was not busy.

My room had window over the street, and the street is without car traffic. The neighbourhood is called ASAKUSA, and it is definitely an area visited by tourists, Japanese and foreigners. I really enjoyed living in this area, found everything easily in the small streets. If you wish to have your coffee and sugar dose after the Japanese breakfast, there is a nice little Starbucks a couple of blocks away. Several sushi bars around, amongst them a famous one (visited only by Japanese, so be ready to order in Japanese): Maguro.

Not far from the hotel, is a subway station where you can catch the Asakusa and the Ginza lines. Asakusa is also not far from Ueno park, where I passed several times by a market close to the station.

I was sad to leave the hotel when finally I was rebooked back to Europe. I enjoyed a lot staying at Shigetsu with its friendly staff. I also started to feel at home in this area, so whenever I go back to Tokyo, I will definitely try to stay there again!

PS: if you are a iPhone user, don't forget your airmac! they have internet in the rooms at Shigetsu, but no wi-fi :)
A familar view in Asakusa: Asahi b…
My room at Ryokan Shigetsu.

Ryokan Asakusa Shigetsu Hotel Tokyo Overview

Located near Asakusa Kannon Temple, this convenient and quiet hotel is recommended for both tourists and business persons. The dinner menu consists mainly of fresh fish and shellfish bought in daily directly from the fish market .

Ryokan Asakusa Shigetsu Hotel Amenities