Ruins of Pompeii

Pompeii, Italy
Ruins of Pompeii - Mummified corpse.
Ruins of Pompeii - Mummified corpse.
Ruins of Pompeii - Some of the more intact ruins.
Ruins of Pompeii - View of the amphitheater.
Ruins of Pompeii - View of the amphitheater.

Ruins of Pompeii Reviews

rcpilgrim rcpilgrim
Pompeii May 22, 2012
The cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum were destroyed in 79AD by Mt. Vesuvius. The archeological sites are protected today and are part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Both cities were buried under ash or pyroclastic flow from the volcano. They are an example of what a Roman city looked like in that time in history. Many frescoes and wall paintings still survived as did the bodies of people and pets as they were encased in lava and ash. Structures from the sites show a well planned city with wineries, bread shops and public baths and residential areas. Streets are well laid out and even have the chariot grooves still intact. The most interesting aspect of visiting Pompeii was getting a glimpse of the final moment as the remains of bodies represent this vividly in their posture and expressions.
Glamour88 Glamour88
Ruins of Pompeii Jun 29, 2009
When visiting Pompeii try to arrive as early as possible otherwise it becomes inundated with tourists and you can hardly view anything, massive queues, plus you do not want to be looking around the ruins during the mid-day heat as there is little shade. I arrived at 8:00 and it was fantastic, minimal amount of people and freedom to roam about without bumping into everyone, by 10:00 it was heaving and by 12:30 it was even worse plus the heat was getting unbearable but what did I care because I was ready to leave!

I found the ruins of Pompeii fascinating, there is an immense amount of history about the partially buried and ruined Roman town and I found it very emotional to see and hear about the bodies which were caught by the erupting Vesuvius.

Also if you are a student under 25 years old or a pensioner 60+ years old bring your passport (plus proof of being a studen) as you get free access - not sure whether this is just for EU Citizens or for everyone.
travelman727 says:
Great review and arrival suggestion for a wonderful attraction near my favorite town, Ravello, and the Amalfi Coast :-D
Posted on: Jun 05, 2010
Eric Eric
Feb 01, 2006
I have to admit that my reaction to the ruins was kind of mixed. On one hand, it was interesting being able to get a glimpse of an ancient city. You can literally see bodies lying on the ground in their dying positions, mummified into ash. On the other hand, most of the city literally is in ruins. Unless you have an incredibly vivid imagination, it is hard to picture the city as it really was, and most of the time I just felt like I was walking around in a haphazard mess of scattered stones. Also, there are very few actual bodies visible.One of the highlights is the old amphitheater on the outskirts of the city. This was actually one of my favorite places because it was so well preserved, and the experience was a lot more immersive.
Some of the more intact ruins.
View of the amphitheater.
Mummified corpse.
nadda nadda
Oct 07, 2004
A very educational place. You can see the ancient architecture and bodies of people from the year 79 A.D. The bodies are perfrctly well preserved and you can see the people's poses in the second they died.

Related Travel Blogs About Ruins of Pompeii

The Ruins of Pompeii
Today we decided to take our life in our hands and ride the rickety local bus down the mountains to see the ruins at Pompeii.  Pompeii was a major Roman city that was buried under rocks and ash …ruins at Pompeii .   Pompeii was a major Roman city that was buried under rocks and ash when…
A wonderful day trip
I took a day trip from Rome to Amalfi, Positano, and Pompeii through Viator Tours. It was a wonderful day full of wonderful places, but since it was a tour it was a bit rushed. I would have rather …Pompeii, where we took a guided tour of the ruins. Pompeii, of course, was incredible, and I am happy…
Remind me never to drive in Italy
We got to the train station a little early to get our seat reservations but had some problems with the language barrier.  We thought the ticket seller told us to wait 30 minutes and then our tic…ruins at Pompeii and take the bus ride up to the crater of Mount Vesuvius.  We did the math…

Check Pompeii Hotel Deals