Ruhija Gorilla Lodge

Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, Uganda

Ruhija Gorilla Lodge Bwindi Impenetrable Forest Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Ruhija Gorilla Lodge Nov 11, 2012
Ruhija Gorilla Lodge is a lodge associated with Assunyut tours, in Ruhija, in the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest. It is extraordinarily expensive, at around $200 per person per night for a pretty ordinary room, although a certain degree of haggling is possible. This is deliberate, to keep numbers down for the trekking, and deals including the permit are available.

The price is actually the only negative. The room we stayed in was nice, and the staff were excellent. The prices are full board, and we had plenty of delicious food and (as it is low season and Marburg Fever had scared off a lot of tourists) we were the only guests so we had lots of attention. Beers are a little more expensive than you would expect, but the lodge is very remote and I think that this is justified. Eric, the manager, was brilliant. We had a lovely view over to the volcanos on the Rwandan border, and it was very peaceful, especially when the generator went off at night (bear in mind this means no electricity in the middle of the night – as with everywhere we stayed in Uganda, an LED lantern is a good thing to bring with you).

The main activity here is the gorilla trekking, which is magical. It is also possible to arrange community visits, bird watching and so on. Eric also takes visitors to visit the local primary school (I am normally rather self-conscious about doing that sort of thing, but he was so obviously so proud of the children that I decided to go and I am glad I did). Although the hotel is not at all pushy about donations to the primary school, if you do want to donate they will make sure the money gets there.

I enjoyed my stay in the mountains very much, and would recommend staying here if you can afford it (it is possible to stay far more cheaply in Kabale and get up very, very early in the morning for the trekking). The only reason that I probably wouldn’t go back is because by the time you’ve paid for the permits and the hotel it really is priced as a once in a lifetime trip, and I would have to win the lottery to make a habit of it, but I don’t regret a penny that I did spend.
sarahelaine says:
I think so. :)
Posted on: Nov 22, 2012
jenniferhibbard says:
Well, it was a special experience, so worth the money I think!
Posted on: Nov 22, 2012