Royal Sunset Island Resort

Royal Sunset Island Resort Rates and Deals

Royal Sunset Island Resort Atata Island Reviews

gerbendemoed gerbende…
Friendly staff on a nice island Aug 17, 2008
I stayed at the Royal Sunset Island Resort Hotel Atata Island in July 2007 near the end of my world tour.

For all the other places I have stayed I chose cheap hostels to keep the cost down, however for this place I decided to go for some more luxury.

I booked through a website which offered the room at a greatly reduced prize from the hotel price, however this was possibly because of the political unrest that plagued Tonga at the time of my visit.

Me and a friend booked a cabin for two for 70 Euro's a night between the two of us, thus 35 Euro's a night more or less.

The staff of our hotel brought us to a small island a few miles of the main island by boat. The small island was many times more beautiful it had a small village but I was told we were not supposed to go there without a local guide (I did not visit the town at all).

The most beautiful beaches of the island were located around the hotel/resort. The resort was quite beautiful and so was our cabin.

Eventhough we only booked for 2 person we got a cabin with 2 single beds and another double bed in another room. The cabin was located around 50 meters from the waterside in the shade of some trees.

The rooms were clean and quite spacious, the furniture was quite basic but that seemed in-tune with the surrounding.

Perhaps because of the political situation at the time we were the only guests of the resort for the first days of our stay, later a few more guests arrived though it never got really busy.

The main building had a restaurant with OK food for OK prices.

There was a swimming pool however the water had not been cleaned for a while which gave the water a slightly dubious colour. Luckily there was enough ocean to swim in.

There where a few Kayaks which were free to use, and kayaking around the island offers some beautiful sights.

The staff was very friendly, though not everybody spoke English.
Relaxing in the shade
On the beach
The island and a part of the resort

Royal Sunset Island Resort Overview

Royal Sunset Island Resort is located on 'Atata Island, which is six miles off Nuku'alofa and approximately 10 miles from Fua'amotu International Airport. The resort shares the small 'Atata Island with a native Tongan village. It's near the beach and a lagoon for swimming and snorkeling. Whales often play offshore from June through October.

Hotel amenities include the tennis court, dining room, sunken bar, swimming pool, and sun deck that is dotted with lawn tables and umbrellas. Guests can use snorkeling gear, kayaks, sailboats, and windsurfers for free. Waterskiing and scuba diving equipment are available for a fee. The hotel also offers valet laundry service and babysitting.

All bungalows feature refrigerators, coffeemakers, shower-only bathrooms, ceiling fans, and screened windows. There are no telephones in the rooms. Rates are based on double occupancy. Charges for extra adults may apply and will be due directly to the hotel.

Royal Sunset Island Resort Amenities