Royal Opera House (Royal Ballet)

London, England

Royal Opera House (Royal Ballet) London Reviews

Kalium_zer0 Kalium_z…
Sep 07, 2007
The Royal Opera House is located in the heart of London, near Covent Garden Market. Indeed, this centric position immediately hints at the highly priced tickets. A friend and I were lucky enough to get tickets for 10 pounds, but we sat at the very top (upper balcony)--cheaper tickets can be purchased but you will have to stand during the event!

The building itself is amazing: it genuinely conserves the tradition of British opera houses; the stage is very ample allowing for elaborate sceneries; the orchestra is very good as are the actors/dancers.

Ballet and Operas are performed in the Royal Opera House, and the previous season (2006/2007) had some interesting featured events, including Beethoven's only operatic work: Fidelio. The only time I went, I saw a ballet.

Being the first ballet I have seen, 'Onegin' was a fine and interesting representation of Pushkin's masterpiece; ballet somehow represents the bridge between written and musical arts. The choreography was outstanding, as was the music (this is no wonder-Tchaikovsky composed the music after all!), and the story was conveyed maginificently. For some, classical music is too blunt as it does not communicate a story explicitly; perhaps, an interpretation (via a ballet or an opera) is advisable to this type of people.

While I am not a ballet or opera fan, I still recommend going to the ROH, at least for the architectural value and artistic experience the place provides. The disadvantage is the size of the House, which means that you will have to pay extremely high prices to get decent tickets. And even though it is one of the biggest music houses I have been in [and despite the price], you should buy the ticket in advance as they are quickly sold out. For some events, tickets are sold out two or three days after the event has been publicised.

Related Travel Blogs About Royal Opera House (Royal Ballet)

Ballet at the Royal Opera House
I found a neat little theatre shop in the West End. It was pretty swell. Reminded me of all my musical theatre crazies back at home. There are more and more elaborate Christmas decorations in the s…I found a neat little theatre shop in the West End. It was pretty swell. Reminded me of all my…

Check London Hotel Deals