Royal Ontario Museum

100 Queen’s Park, Toronto, Canada

Royal Ontario Museum Toronto Reviews

jamesdean252 jamesdea…
Royal Ontario Museum - Toronto Aug 16, 2011
The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) really does have something for everyone. The main entrance was done into what they call the crystal house in 2007 and is a sight to see.

The ROM became an independent institution in 1968 but was founded in 1912 by the University of Toronto. From dinosaurs, mummies, gems and minerals, Greek and Roman antiquities, period rooms and furniture, Asian art and artifacts. The lay out of the Museum is pretty easy and flows pretty well together.

We spend a couple hours at the ROM and I wished we would have spent a couple more hours there. There is so much to see and never enough time to see it all. We did skim through a few sections pretty fast if we went interested in what they had to offer in that section but overall the museum kept our interest.

I am not sure what the admission price was since we purchased the citypass. Check out my review on it if you plan on checking out a few other tourist spots in Toronto. The staff was friendly and was there to answer any question to the best of their ability.

If you love world culture and natural history then The Royal Ontario Museum would be right up your ally. I had a great time here and would recommend it to anyone.
wuha wuha
Rom is Great! Mar 19, 2011
The Royal Ontario Museum has been around for a very long time, and was originally housed in an attractive heritage stone building. The museum outgrew that building by the 1970's and a fairly bland structure was built within its courtyards to expand the exhibit space. In the last few years, this expansion building has been removed and a futuristic "crystal" has been built in its place.

From the street, this crystal is impressive. But once inside, it is difficult to understand how one could think that such a structure would be appropriate to house an exceptional museum collection.

It is loud, and echos voices and the inevitable screams of children throughout its cavernous space. Hard floors fail to absorb any sound, and steel grate stairs and walkways reverberate under foot to create a cacophony of noise. I spent much of my visit listening to some sort of horn sounding, the source of which I never did determine. The odd shapes created in the exhibit space relocate many things to easily missed alcoves and corners, and deny the visitor the luxury of a relaxed progression through the exhibits.

In spite of the undeniably attractive exterior facade presented by the new crystal structure, the interior museum functionally is inferior to the 1970's presentation.

In spite of the shortcomings of the new crystal structure, the collections are widely varied and worthy of a visit. Several galleries are of particular note, including the minerals exhibit which displays the very best collection I've ever seen on this subject. My all-time favorite gallery is on the third floor of the old building and display various furniture and room settings of years gone by. There are half a dozen benches where one can sit and listen to recordings of period dialogs and music. This gallery has not changed in as much time as I can remember, but I never miss is on my visits. It is a quiet, peaceful place that many visitors never reach, and I think that is its appeal. There are no bright lights, no loud noises and smaller crowds - it is what a museum should be.

The collection of dinosaurs and other fossils is also quite impressive, although it is displayed in a sterile fashion without any ambiance within the new crystal structure. Fossils are simply assembled in a bland whitewashed room with indiscriminate lighting. While unquestionably brighter, these stark displays are disappointingly unlike the beautifully staged scenes I recall from my childhood in the old gallery (even if the wisdom of that time did have the two-legged species dragging their tails).

On this most revent visit, the special exhibit was the life-sized warriors of Chin's tomb and this was very well displayed. This world-class exhibit was a once in a life time experience and is highly recommended.

This is a great museum collection, which I recommend to everyone, but one wonders what the designers of the newest parts of the exhibit space were thinking. It looks great from the outside, but is useless for museum display purposes.

The ROM is still one of my favorite destinations
genjenny03 genjenny…
Truly Something for everyone. Nov 13, 2011
One of the few things that I got to visit during my stay at Toronto was the Royal Ontario Museum. My uncle said that the museum had a renovation in order to give way for an expansion (which is good).

The first thing that I did was went to the fourth floor where the Egyptian collection was located. Seeing the real thing ( mummy and alabaster jars, and little statues of god & goddesses #$%#&#%** fond of reading egyptian mythology) was great. I thought I''ll only have the chance to see them in books (Good Job Canada!) . I truly enjoyed it even If it was just a small collection.
xCOREx xCOREx
Good way to spend a day. Jan 07, 2011
This is like many other museums but with cool architecture. We found the area a great way to spend a day because you can leave the museum and come back so we left to walk the streets and shop/eat then come back to finish with the special exhibits at the museum. Great deal for the price. I suggest looking for the Modern Sports Armor area for a view of the Canadian life and also the "first peoples" gallery/exhibit.
Outside the museum.
Outside the museum (again).
Connie Connie
The ROM Oct 01, 2010
I'm a big fan of the ROM, especially after they finished the new Michael Lee-Chin Crystal wing. The building itself is worth a visit because it combines the historic, heritage listed original building with a modern, radically different wing made of mainly of glass, steel and aluminum.

Obviously, if you're not into museums, then it's not worth the admission fee. But if you enjoy cultural and natural history, this place has a lot to offer. You can easily spend an entire day there.

One of my favourite exhibitions is its dinosaur collection which includes many full and partial skeletons of large dinosaurs. I'm also a fan of the Egyptian wing with its collection of mummies and sarcophagi.

As well, we were lucky enough to visit the temporary exhibit of the Terracotta Warriors. It was a fascinating and informative exhibit and I highly recommend a visit to this show if it ever travels to your nearest museum.
The Royal Ontario Museum
The Royal Ontario Museum's new Mic…
silan silan
May 29, 2007
This is a museum you should set a lot of time for, at least 3 hours. It's a big museum with a large collection of artifacts and there is a lot to see. There are great exhibits, however, I recommend going at a time when you know there won't be any school groups elbowing their way past you and screaming down the halls! At the moment, there's a great exhibit on Ancient Peru, as well as Egypt and Greece, and much more.

Related Travel Blogs About Royal Ontario Museum

Welcome to Toronto
We arrived on time in Toronto-Pearson International. It's a nice little walk to passport control. The lines were not that bad waiting to go thru customs. We headed downstairs to the baggage claim are…Toronto CIty Pass booklet. It included the CN Tower, Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto Zoo, Ontario Science Centre, and Casa Loma…
To
I had spent some of the last few days driving around the edges of Toronto going place to place but this was my first time in Canada's biggest city.  In Vancouver we love to hate most things Toro…Royal Ontario Museum.  I liked history but I was expecting the exhibits to be more Ontario centered but it really was a national museum.  Akiko just loved this…
Tourist in Toronto - Royal Ontarion Museum, Dinner at the CN Tower and the Lion King!
A big day this one, left Inglewood at about 10 a.m. with Mel¡¦s parents.  Her brother Craig drove us to Yorkdale (with very little confidence and constant parent bickering) where we grabbed th…Ontario Museum), only $10 entry which seemed pretty good.  Spent a couple of hours looking at dinosaurs and animal exhibitions before lunch (while dodging the school groups…

Check Toronto Hotel Deals