Royal British Colombia Museum

675 Belleville Street, Victoria, Canada

Royal British Colombia Museum Victoria Reviews

aelder2259 aelder22…
Great First People Exhibit! May 01, 2011
I wasn't going to go to the museum since I had limited time, but I changed my mind. The first floor has an IMAX theater that costs extra, so I didn't do that. The second floor is the start of the exhibit. On this floor, you find displays of all the animals, birds, insects and sea life that are native to British Columbia. All birds and animals are stuffed and laid out on their backs, feet tied together, looking very scientific instead of natural. This allows them more room to show everything. There are also a few larger displays that show elk, bears, sea birds, and seals in a natural-looking habitat.

On the second floor, the displays are split between turn of the century to modern. The other half are displays of the First People that include totem poles, masks, pit huts, cave drawings, and more. I was quite impressed with how they had everything laid out.
peterbarkley peterbar…
Jul 28, 2005
I visited the Royal British Colombia Museum in 2005. The most fascinating aspect for me was the content on the indigenous people of British Colombia. The artifacts from their culture and their history with the West were both intriguing and illuminating. You simply cannot go to Victoria without seeing the totem poles at the museum.
windypeg says:
The Royal British Columbia Museum is probably, IMHO, the finest museum in Canada. Should NOT be missed on any visit to Victoria. I was born and raised in Victoria (my therapist is still working with me on why I left 11 years ago!!)...and I directed many a tourist on the sites to see in the city. The museum was always number 1....I still love walking back through time in the diaoramas that make you feel like you are really in a west coast forest, or on a tidal shore, in a coal mine, a fish packing plant or turn of the century town.....the sounds and smells are all there! Make it a priority, you won't be disappointed!
Posted on: Aug 13, 2007