Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh

20 Inverleith Row, Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh Reviews

hujera hujera
Botanic Garden - exhibition of crocodiles, monkeys and other animals Dec 26, 2012
This garden is one of the most beautiful places to visit in Edinburgh. It is located near the centre and you can either walk there (about 20 min. from the Princes Street) or take a bus.

I like the garden, as it is possible to visit it whole the year. The best time is the spring and the autumn - you can see everything in blossom in the spring or the colours of the autumn before the winter hits.

Even if you are not very interested in the botanic side, it is a nice place to have a rest, a cup of tea or coffee or a lunch in quite new modernised main entrance building. You can connect the visit with a walk in Inverleith Park, which is located opposite the main entrance (you can find a pond with swans there and a great view to the Edinburgh castle hill).

This is a place for temporary exhibitions as well - I saw there one with big photos taken around the world from the sky displayed close to the greenhouse and the one with crocs and monkeys - the decision, if this is art or not, it is merely up to yourself, but I found it really funny.

If you want to find a place, where you can avoid crowds, than this one is exactly for you. You don't spend a penny to go inside the garden!
Every penny counts
davidx davidx
Simply stunning Botanical Garden Aug 19, 2010
There is a bit of confusion about nomenclature, in that the Royal Botanical Garden, Edinburgh covers four gardens, of which three are not in Edinburgh! This review is of the Edinburgh garden in Edinburgh!

I can't write a great deal without getting into tedious repetition of superlative adjectives so you will have to get most of your information from the website. It really is a top quality garden. The 'free' label applies to the outdoor areas. However the moderate charge for the glasshouses is far more than justified.

I have been 3 times now (which says something in itself) and I shall just give an idea of some of the things that I regard as must-sees.

The rock garden definitely tops my list of ones I have seen and I have already mentioned the glasshouses. Somewhat to my surprise I have to mention the Queen Mother's Memorial Garden. Then there are the 'Chinese Hillsides,' on the way to which is a superb view over the city. I have been brutally strict in this selection and omitted features that can be seen in many gardens. However I do recommend garden lovers to look at a lot of the headings on the website, http://www.rbge.org.uk/the-gardens/edinburgh/garden-features
Bell-like rhododendron
cactus 1
cactus 2
A touch of colour

Related Travel Blogs About Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh

Potential Itineraries
For our trip, we decided to make a survey to decide where we wanted to go.  We listed countries that interested us, as well as cities in them, and things to see/do in the cities.    …Edinburgh Castle - Royal Botanic Garden - Scottish Parliament - National Museum of Scotland - National Galleries of Scotland ♦ Glasgow - 13 free museums…
First full day in Edinburgh - day 6
After an exciting night at the Beltane fire festival; staying up until the wee hours of the morning and getting too little sleep, I managed to wake up and pull myself out of bed. Most of the individ…Royal Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh dates back as early as 1670 and was only about the size of a tennis…
First full day in Edinburgh - day 6
Once I had my fill of the Royal Botanic Gardens, we decided we would start heading back towards town and the hostel. It was I think at least a 30 minutes walk give or take to the Gardens and by that…Botanic Gardens, we decided we would start heading back towards town and the hostel. It was I think at least a 30 minutes walk give or take to the Gardens

Check Edinburgh Hotel Deals