Rouge Restaurant

rougegalway.com - (091) 530 681

Rouge Restaurant Galway Reviews

AussieMel82 AussieMe…
French fixed price menu Feb 01, 2014
My friends and I got a table at Rouge to celebrate a birthday late in 2013. I had wanted to eat at Rouge on a number of occasions however they are almost always full so you need to book ahead.

Rouge provides a fixed price two course menu for 17.50 euro per person. The price has recently gone up having previously been only 15 euro p/p. The menu includes Amuse-Bouche for starter and then you choose from either steak, fish of the day or vegetarian and a side. Additional sides, deserts and cheeseboards are at an additional cost.

Five of us all had steak and one had the fish, everyone was pretty happy with their meals. I ordered my steak rare which I usually do when I trust the chefs in the restaurant to cook it correctly and it was absolutely delicious, melt in your mouth tender, flavoursome beef. The blue cheese sauce that I ordered with my steak was also so nice, i would have eaten it straight out of the bowl. I didn't however understand the reason why all five of the steaks were brought out on one large wooden chopping board and not our own plates.

Wine at this restaurant is all French. We got a bottle of red wine which was fairly average considering the 26 euro price tag. However, this was one of the cheaper bottles. In gereral it's all very very expensive. I assume the additional sides, deserts and wine is where the restaurant makes up for the cheap fixed price menu.

The steak was worth going back for...more than once
lolableME lolableME
Very Cheap Great Atmosphere Experience May 08, 2012
I went to Rouge Resturant on Dominick's Street, adjacent to the Spanish Arch in the centre of Galway City, on a Friday night at 9:00PM. I made a reservation for two people on their website on the previous Monday, as they are ALWAYS booked up on the weekend. I was really excited to go here because its a relatively new French restaurant in Galway and when ever I pass it its always very lively looking. Also, I had heard rave reviews about it.

The atmosphere is so...cool, there was a piano player jamming away, not too loud, but it set the mood. The place is dimly lit, the staff are very professional and chic. It was a sophisticated yet laid back ambience. Also, it was extreamly busy! We waited for our table for 15 minutes, but we just ordered drinks at the small bar and they gave us some delicious olives to accompany our wine.

The menu is as follows, a main course and starter is €15. The starter is an Amuse-bouche Collection of bite-sized appetizers shared between everyone. Then you choose from either vegetarian, fish or a steak main course which comes with one side dish of your choice. Then if you want drinks and/or dessert, you pay for that on top of the €15.

We both chose steak and dauphinoise potatoes for the main and I enjoyed two lovely glasses of Chardonnay at €5.50 a glass. The starter came out almost immediately and although it was fun to sample a range of different foods, they were not very tasty. One was a shot glass size of a soup that smelled of melted butter and tasted like a pasta sauce, another was pate on a small cracker and then a toothpick with ham and coleslaw on it...very different and not a great mix.

The steak came out with the potatoes, a portion that might fill a small child, but not two adults! The meat was not great quality, but the potatoes tasted amazing. We were both left pretty hungry.

It was still a great night and fun to experience a different restaurant. Great atmosphere, very affordable, but not to my taste.

Check Galway Hotel Deals