Roosevelt Campobello International Park

fdr.net/home - (506) 752-2922

Roosevelt Campobello International Park Campobello Island Reviews

alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
Wonderful Natural Area and Nicely Done Cottage Tour Sep 06, 2012
Roosevelt Campobello International Park is jointly managed by the United States and Canada and is located on Campobello Island, just across the bridge from Lubec, Maine. Franklin Delano Roosevelt spent several summers in the family cottage on the island. The summer cottage is the most visited location in this park, however the Natural Area is a must visit!

The Welcome Center is a great place to start your visit. The little museum inside has a short video and a wonderful timeline with photos. There is also a small gift shop. Walk out the back door, past some flower gardens, and over to the summer cottage to begin your tour. The cottage is staffed with plenty of guides to explain the rooms and artifacts. I imagine they are fluent in both English and French, but I only understood the English :) As soon as you enter a room, the guide tells you about it. If another person enters the room after your talk, the guide will start again. Must get boring speaking the same lines so many times!

The rooms are restored and are very interesting to look at. Of course you can't touch anything, that's how museums are. You start in the game/hobby room, pass some bedrooms and the bathroom, school room, kitchen, dining room, and pantry. I think. I didn't take photos of every room. But the entire cottage was very well done and definitely worth a visit. You can view rooms on two floors. Some days they offer a tour of another cottage nearby, but I didn't take the time.

I wandered down the path to the dock and overlook, then back up and out. The hidden gem of this park is the Natural Area. I spent most of my time exploring that. There are several beaches and picnic areas to visit, as well as a bog walk, hiking trails, and back roads. I didn't see much for wildlife - just a speck of a seal way off in the distance. I didn't take time to walk the trails other than the bog walk, but it was nicely done. Several of the overlooks, picnic areas and beachs offered gorgeous views. There were hardly any people out in this area. I wish I had more time to spend out here.

The website is a great resource to plan your visit. They have an interactive map, photos, and more info on history and natural areas of the park. www.fdr.net
Roosevelt Cottage
Game Room
Bathroom
Bedroom
sarahsan says:
Nice review Alyssa!
Posted on: Mar 14, 2013

Compare Fairhaven Hotel Rates (11.2km away)

Roosevelt Campobello International Park Map