EuropeItalyRomeRome Tips

Rome, Italy

Rome - Gambeling Reviews

MRcaruso MRcaruso
Street gambeling - Beware! Apr 30, 2011
I spent some time in Rome recently and was happy to check out some local markets where I bought jeans, shirts and other bits of clothing at really great prices.

While I was shopping with my friend we saw some people crowded around a makeshift table. We went to have a closer look and what we saw was a shifty looking older man shuffeling some cups around and the punters were tryng to guess which cup a little ball was in.

Being the James Bond of gambeling I thought I would give it a go and make some easy money. Needless to say I lost around 300 Euros in a matter of minutes.

As I watched the man shuffle the cups and then stop, I picked the cup which I thought the ball was in, he asked that I take out some money and put it ontop of the cup to indicate which one it was. When I put the money on the cup he lifted the cup up and ofcourse the ball wasnt there, he lifted the cup next to it and low and behold there was the ball.

What I didnt realise at the time was that when I took the money out of my wallet, he shifted the two cups very quickly. He did this a few times before someone yelled "policija" and the crowed dispersed.

What I also didnt realise until someone politely informed me was that the other people playing the game were all in on the trick. They pretend to win money to lure other players, then get a cut of the money afterwards.

The local police are also in on it. They get a cut of the winnings and allow the game to be played, until someone calls out "police" making it look like it isnt condoned.

Do yourself a favour next time you see one of these games and just walk away!

Check Rome Hotel Deals