Roman site at Conimbriga

Coimbra, Portugal

Roman site at Conimbriga Coimbra Reviews

davidx davidx
Rather a disapointment Nov 29, 2010
I was rather disappointed with Conimbriga. I am sure that much of my disappointment was specific to the time of my visit - but I can only describe it as I found it.

On the positive side it must be stressed that this is already a large site and there is much left to be excavated. Secondly, some of the mosaics are really good.

The negative aspects were two. The ongoing one was that little remains much above foundation level. It is difficult to see that further excavations will improve this much. The remains could still be very interesting but they don't compare with some others in Europe.

The other negative aspect was, for me, unforgivable On entering I came to a very good information board. The information it conveyed was that generally the information boards had been inadequate, Therefore they had been demolished and WOULD be replaced with good ones like the one I was reading. Great - but it meant that I was looking at a mass of foundations without any information on what I was seeing. Were the previos boards of a sort of negative quality - worse than nothing at all? I don't think so!
Conimbriga 1
Conimbriga 2
Conimbriga 3`
Conimbriga 4

Related Travel Blogs About Roman site at Conimbriga

The wrong time - I hope.
Conimbriga is an ancient Roman archaeologicl site south of Coimbra. It is a vast site but, sadly, a high majority is only at foundation level. This makes anybody short of a professional archaeologist…Conimbriga is an ancient Roman archaeologicl site south of Coimbra. It is a vast site but, sadly, a high majority…

Check Coimbra Hotel Deals