Roderick Haig-Brown Provincial Park

Chase, Canada

Roderick Haig-Brown Provincial Park Chase Reviews

aelder2259 aelder22…
Salmon Spawning on Adams River Mar 07, 2009
Nothing really prepares you for the sight of so many salmon swimming up river during spawning season (October) on the Adams River. The best place to view them is at the Roderick Haig-Brown Provincial Park where there are viewing areas. The Adams River Salmon Society is usually present during this time and they willing give talks about the salmon. Do you know why the males have big humps on their backs and long, curved "beaks"? Or why the females' tails and fins look so ragged? I didn't until I talked to some of the society's volunteers.

I was with a photography group. We found a spot near the water and plopped down to take photos. One may thing taking photos of fish would be challenging, they being under water and all, but the water isn't that deep and the salmon are practically skimming the top of the water as they try to push against the current. I was able to get several shots of males fighting, with one biting the tail of the other.

The park rangers are also very friends. They stopped to talk to us for about an hour, warning us of bear in the area (we saw lots of scat, but never saw an actual bear).

If you love nature and love taking photos, I recommend schedule a trip in October.

Check Chase Hotel Deals