Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park, United States - 970-586-1206, 970-586-1333 recorded message (road & weather info)

Rocky Mountain National Park Reviews

redtala71 redtala71
Natural Beauty Jun 19, 2011
I have never felt so inspired as when I visited this park. The wildlife viewing is amazing if you go into the park at the right time of day. Surrounded by beautiful mountains and lakes of blue water makes for an awe inspiring experiance, esp looking down at some of those points driving trail ridge road. That drive is not for the faint of heart or ones afraid of heights
UniversalTraveler23 Universa…
a perfect walk in the clean mountain air Apr 23, 2011
A perfect place for a good hike and to be one with nature

don't forget that the rockys are huge and you shound not stay in the same place for more then a couple of days if you like to get all of the splander it has to offer
WalterC WalterC
Despite the danger, very much worth going Jul 05, 2009
Located near the town of Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park is a scenic and sometimes dangerous park to drive through. Estes Park is a good base to visit the park, especially for those on a budget, as it has the only hostel near the park. There is a separate review for the hostel itself. And this review will be mainly for short visits to the park.

The main road that goes through the park, is Trail Ridge Road. Opened during most of the year, mainly from around April to October, the road takes you through the Rocky Mountains, for nice view of the snow-peaked mountains. There are a bunch of lookout spots, where you can take the time to look and take photographs. This alone, is enough reason to visit this place.

But be WARNED! As its name would indicate, the road does go very close to the edge of the cliff on one side, with sharp curves and no guard rails. So you need to be very attentive at all times. And if you can, try to avoid driving at night. But if you have to, especially in the direction that is right on the edge of the cliff, luckily the road is almost deserted at night. So you can drive on the opposite side of the road, away from the edge. Just be alert for oncoming cars along the way, as there were some when I had to do the drive along the edge. You can read about my little adventure in the blog.

Also, be aware of the change of elevation, which can result in altitude sickness. Plus you will need to pack a sweater and/or jacket, even in the summer months, as it does get cold at the top. And don’t forget sunscreen either!

Personally, I think it stops being scenic once you pass the Continental Divide, marked by a sign. So feel free to turn around after that point. After the Continental Divide, the paved road turns into gravel, and just horrible to drive on. Plus not really much to see, other than a lake and possible wildlife. And in case anyone is wondering what the Continental Divide, I have attached a photo of the sign that would explain better than I would. As for wildlife, I was able to see a marmot, chipmunk, and elk.

Other places to check out include Bear Lake and Alberta Falls. They are nice and worth a look. You may have to park farther away, and take the shuttle to get to the area. Then hike to those spots. The shuttle does run during the summer. Luckily, this part is not along the edge of the cliff. Plus visitor centers to visit, some of which, has museums in them. I did not get to visit them, so can’t comment there.

Despite the danger, Rocky Mountain National Park is a must-visit park. Once you get past the fear of heights, it is just unbelievably majestic place to see. If you are already in Colorado, then I highly recommend visiting this place.
Rocky Mountains
stream flowing down the mountainsi…
Trail Ridge Road
Danger Man!
Posted on: Nov 30, 2015
gokaiser gokaiser
Definately Breath Taking Jul 09, 2009
Rocky Mountain National Park contains some of the most beautiful sights and sound of any park in the US. The drive is simple amazing while you feel like you're leaving the world beneath you as you ascend to through the clouds and feel like you're sitting peacefully on top of the world. The quit nature of the park allows you to be engulfed in its pristine beauty. One of the most breath taking experience that deserves days of exploration.
Standing on the edge
Chillin with the girls
Nair2011 Nair2011
My first real snow fall experience Jan 12, 2006
In those days, I use to train techincal support engineers on camera products. We use to get the information and training of a product much before the company releases the product to consumer and we use to ensure that all support engineers are knowledgable in the said product by the release.

To attend one of those trainings, I have visited company's Ft. Collins, Colorado office. Once we understand the features of the new products, for handson experience we use to go to different places near by..

One of the places selected this time is Rocky mountain national park. In January, afternoon of a working day we have visited the park. We drove to till the Bear lake parking lot.

First time experience of snow fall and making snow angel in ice, I can't forget in this life. I have enjoyed every min of me being under the snow fall, writing my name in the snow and stepping on the frozen ice to break..

On the way back of the trip my friends told they have a different Gopi all together and I feel a kid in me has come out that day..
National Park Entrance
Me before going up

Related Travel Blogs About Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park
Thanks to one of the few free days allotted by the National Parks Service, we dedicated one day to Rocky Mountain National Park. You can't live in Colorado and not visit at least once. We spent the d…National Parks Service, we dedicated one day to Rocky Mountain National Park. You can't live…
Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
After a recent storm that went through the area, all of the high mountains behind me to the west were snow covered and I decided to take a drive up to see them closer. From Wwstminster, I drove up th…Park. This small town sits right at the entrance of the Rocky Mountain National Park

Compare Grand Lake Hotel Rates (4.9km away)

Rocky Mountain National Park Map