Rock no Cocoro

10-3 3F Park Bldg., Tokyo, Japan

Rock no Cocoro Tokyo Reviews

six74 six74
Relatively easy to find rock bar in Shibuya Sep 29, 2014
The problem with reviewing bars is that, unless you've been on a number of different nights, it's hard to say just how unpopular or busy a place can be. I visited Rock no Cocoro in Shibuya twice during my holiday in Tokyo, on a Sunday and a Monday, and experienced a very different vibe each night.

On the Sunday I arrived after 8pm, and found myself an empty seat at the bar (the 'go to' place for solo travellers). Loud Japanese rock attacked my eardrums, while three TV screens played episodes of The Dog Whisperer without a trace of irony. The venue filled up quickly, with resident DJs belting out both Japanese and western rock to an appreciative and friendly crowd - mostly locals and some ex-pats. The English boys I was drinking with had been there the previous Saturday night, and claimed that Saturdays were "mental". The Sunday crew were somewhat more subdued in comparison.

When I returned a week later, I was surprised to find I was the only person in the bar. I again sat at my same seat and had an enjoyable night nonetheless, talking with the two bartenders. When others began to slowly filter in after 10pm, the staff were happy to let them play their own CDs on the sound system.

Rock no Cocoro was easy to find, cost zero to enter, and the staff and customers were friendly and easy going. If I had one issue with the place it is this - they don't offer any Japanese beer or whisky on their menu. Otherwise, it is an unpretentious venue where you can sip a 12 year old Glenlivet or chug a Heineken. You might even pick up a few dog training tips from Cesar Millan.
To find Rock no Cocoro, head north…

Check Tokyo Hotel Deals