Rock Island Cafe

Quinpool Road, Halifax, Canada

Rock Island Cafe Halifax Reviews

nsgeogirl nsgeogirl
Generally great food. Mar 20, 2011
Good food, not very popular but should be. I believe it's Caribbean if I'm not mistaken. If you prefer greek, another great place across the road is 'It's All Greek to me'.
d2amy d2amy
A little taste of Bermuda in Halifax Oct 01, 2008
This restaurant opened about two weeks ago I believe. Its main focus was to bring the taste of Bermuda to Halifax because the owner loves Halifax and is originally from Bermuda. Not a hard concept to understand. I was there for lunch and I ordered the fish chowder, which is not exactly the same as Nova Scotia chowder, in Bermuda they use the whole fish, eyes included. It's actually not as horrible as it sounds. I also order the Rock Island Salad which is a bed of greens, with half an avocado stuffed with lovely shrimp along with tomatoes and cucumber. A dressing came on the side, that took a short time to get used to, but once you start eating, it's really enjoyable. Now my mother is from Bermuda and I have been there four times, so in a bit I believe I am a good judge for this restaurant. The fist chowder actually surprised me. It was fantastic and it even had the Rum and Sherri to go along with it, a classic Bermuda addition. The only thing I didn't like about this restaurant, and I know Bermuda is widely influenced by Jamaica, is I saw more of Jamaica in there than Bermuda, which is disappointing. What would have made this restaurant a ten for me is if the carried Barrett's ginger beer (only available in Bermuda). I would have been in heaven.
NSTRAVEL says:
this restaurant changed ownership a few months ago and has completely lost all of its bermuda, jamaica or any other southern or carribean feel to it.
food was delicious, although cold when served. nice presentation but really, when a patron asks for butter for their potatoes, you don't bring them a ramekin of obviously used butter than has not only been smeareda all over the dish but looks like it's been on the counter for a few days.
Posted on: Jun 24, 2010