Robert Hall Winery

3443 Mill Road, Paso Robles, CA, USA

Robert Hall Winery Paso Robles Reviews

williamsworld williams…
a Hall of a place May 24, 2010
I have mixed reviews on this winery. It's probably better to start out with the good points. They have obviously dedicated a great amount of money and energy into the architecture of their estate. An elongated water feature leads from the entrance, through the court and out to the newly built tiered seating area for event hosting and performances. If you're in search of a wedding spot, this winery will most likely take your breath away. Then again, I believe that hosting events is probably their focus. On that topic, they host such events as a "Murder Mystery Dinner", a "Valentines Dinner" and a "Mediterranean Cruise." You may visit their website for more information on all these events and more.

At Robert Hall Winery, they offer both a Standard and Reserve tasting. I would naturally select the Reserve tasting in hopes of trying some of their top shelf offerings, but I just opted for a couple of free pours.. The highlight of their reserve list was a 2002 Reserve Syrah which was brought out of their library for a limited time. I tried a couple of the other wines first, but you can imagine my surprise when I got to the Reserve Syrah and they were completely out. There were two other people in the tasting room with me who actually paid for the tasting and were not happy, it appeared to be a slow day. They didn't have a comparable alternative and offered us one of the lesser wines as a substitute. This didn't really seem appropriate since they had paid an additional fee for that particular tasting. They also didn't offer them any sort of refund. All in all, I thought that situation was handled quite poorly. Maybe I should have been thankful that they gave me anything. The service left much to be desired as it felt like they were off doing other things during my visit.

I really hope that this was a onetime occurrence, and I realize this review is somewhat hot and cold. Overall, I feel that Robert Hall focuses more on the grandeur of it all instead of the wine. On the bright side, if for some reason you would like to try their wines without making the trip to Paso Robles, they are fairly widely distributed. I don't have plans to visit there again although I'm sure a repeat visitation would have to be more enjoyable than the initial one. I am hoping that someone who had a great experience can post a review to balance this one out.

The large tasting room is decorated with a beautiful custom designed chandelier and doors on 3 sides showcase different views of the winery. The cave was unlike anything I have seen before in scope or in beauty. I would love to attend an event anywhere on this property!

Wines are mostly a matter of personal preference, but for the record I highly recommend the reasonably priced Blanc de Robles ($20). For a bigger budget, I loved the 2005 Meritage ($40) and the 2004 Reserve Syrah ($34).

They also have a variety of gourmet food products along with cooking books for sale.
The Robert Hall fountain
just another angle of the Robert H…
a look out into the gardens
That flowing fountain