EuropeItalyRomeRome Tips

Rome, Italy

Robbery tactics beware Rome Reviews

princess_bakes princess…
Aug 29, 2007
About 10 years ago when I was in Budapest we were approached on the street by a fellow tourist. All seemed ok when he claimed he was lost & needed directions. Armed with a map, he spoke to my friend about getting somewhere. Whilst my friend was trying to locate it on the map, the bloke was checking his clothes out instead of looking at the map!

I saw this from where I was standing, and I was immediately suspiciaous, I warned my friend...he then distanced himself from the bloke. In a matter of moment we suddenly had 2 other guys running towards us shouting that they were the police.....I presume this was their diversion tactic, to distract us totally with the chaos. They kept shouting that the bloke asking for direction was a bad man & asked for our passports!

By this time I was was obvious what they were trying to do...I told them I'm not giving them my passport, I asked for their ID instead, which got them mad :)-.....after arguing a while they finally gave up & 'hauled' the bloke away.....lesson is never get intimidated! They'll try anything to get what they want.

An incident that a fellow traveller related to me was being body slammed by a fat woman (she was a small South American) & a guy went through her pockets & bag.......again in Budapest.
journey_jones says:
Thiefs can be so creative... As a tourist you can trust no one ;-)
Posted on: Feb 25, 2009
princess_bakes says:
yup.....they'll try anything....a girl I met said she was body slammed by a fat lady into a wall, as she was stuck there, a guy went thruogh her pockets...sigh....take care & safe journey!
Posted on: Nov 26, 2008
lee-81 says:
Cheers for the heads up, I might be going there next year I'll be on guard.
Posted on: Nov 26, 2008