Roatan Backpackers' Hostel

Roatan, Honduras
Roatan Backpackers' Hostel - Does what it says on the sign.
Roatan Backpackers' Hostel - Just for giggles.
Roatan Backpackers' Hostel - The location, its secluded and off the beaten track, this means nice and peaceful.
Roatan Backpackers' Hostel - The common kitchen area.
Roatan Backpackers' Hostel - The common bathroom, plus shower.
Roatan Backpackers' Hostel - Four bedroom dorm, looks a little cramped, but its probably cozy none the less.
Roatan Backpackers' Hostel - My 6 bed dorm, complete with my mess.

Check Roatan Hotel Deals

Roatan Backpackers' Hostel Reviews

MrD3071 MrD3071
Small but cosy Jun 21, 2011
Roatan backpackers hostel seems to be the main hostel on the Island since Valerie's shut down a while back. The hostel itself its very new, the owner Mel (whom is pretty awesome it has to be said) has only had the hostel for about 4 months now. That being said, the hostel at a glance seems rather basic, however I believe its good value for its price.

The hostel itself only has a few beds available, 12 to my knowledge, split into one 6 bed dorm (where I stayed), a 4 bed dorm and a 2 bed studio room. The interiors have a nice wooden finish, though for the dorms there isn't much else to look at. The bathrooms are fairly standard (en suite for the 6 bed dorm, separate for the 4 bed dorm). The kitchen for public use is small but well enough equipped, it was a little dirty during my stay, but I guess its up to the hostel stayers to play their part in keeping it clean too. There is also a small swimming pool and a nice hammock at the top of the property.

The highlight for me is the porch, where the guests of the hostel can congregate, share a beer and swap stories. I ended up getting into a rather comical fitness challenge with some of the other guys staying here at the time, which slowly went downhill as the rum we were drinking started kicking in. The owner Mel usually joins the hostel guests for a sneaky drink after her children have gone to bed, which I personally think is a nice touch, it is important for the owners to mingle with their guests. Although the hostel was fairly quiet at the time I stayed, I would return to stay again if I find myself in Roatan, I'll be interested to see how the hostels future developments pan out.

My only problem with the hostel is its location, which is located in a quiet residential area, there are only a few restaurants within appropriate walking distance. The nearest town of West End (where the beaches/pubs/restaurants are) is about a 45 minute walk, 5 or so minute cab ride (its not hard to pick up a cab) which if you know how to get a cab in the 'local' fashion costs about $1 one way.

The hostel is also home to the 'smiliest' dog I've ever seen, Lilly, whom hostel guests are welcome to take on a short walk if they so desire.
Does what it says on the sign.
Just for giggles.
The location, its secluded and off…
The common kitchen area.
MrD3071 says:
I have to say, this review is now very outdated. I have been following the progress and expansion of the hostel since my visit back in 2011 and it is looking pretty cozy right now. It is on my list to go back and re-review in the near future!
Posted on: Jun 25, 2014
islandflavour islandfl…
Mar 06, 2011
Cheap, comfortable, clean dorm rooms. Close to public transportation, just a couple minutes from the beach, near the botanical gardens and the dolphins.

Related Travel Blogs About Roatan Backpackers' Hostel

Roatan Backpackers' Hostel: ready for guests
I've been working hard to get things ready for my first guest, who should be arriving today for a few days.  The 2nd dorm room is now all painted and has a few beds in it.  Still need to ge… I've been working hard to get things ready for my first guest, who should be arriving today for a…
First guest!
I recently said goodbye to our first official guest at Roatan Backpackers' Hostel, Michele from Nashville.  Michele had been doing volunteer work on the mainland, so she came over for a few days…Roatan Backpackers' Hostel, Michele from Nashville.  Michele had been doing volunteer work on the mainland, so she came…

Check Roatan Hotel Deals