Roast Duck Restaurant

Beijing, China

Roast Duck Restaurant Beijing Reviews

spocklogic spocklog…
Delicious & Fun Dining Feb 10, 2010
I had to experience some Peking Roast Duck while in Beijing. I had made some friendship with a tour guide and she was kind enough to accompany me to a place she liked and thought would be a good experience for me. I am sorry I do not remember the name of this restaurant, and it was likely one of those places with Chinese characters for a name. However, this review is more about the experience rather than any particular restaurant. There are many places that serve this kind of meal, so with that said, what follows is my experience.

The roast duck is served in front of you, table side, and carved right there. This in itself is quite entertaining to watch and there is obviously some skill involved. It's not a showy display, but something fun to watch and adds to the experience. The duck has a crispy skin and was served in dishes shaped like a duck. Several dishes are served to accompany the duck, specifically cucumbers, spring onions, and a sweet bean sauce. An extra stir fry with some vegetable makes another nice side dish. A thin crepe-like pancake (made of wheat or rice flour) is spread with the sweet bean sauce, wrapped around the meat with vegetables (spring onions & cucumbers) and eaten by hand. This is the traditional way. In this way the flavor is quite good in combination. I tried various combinations, but the traditional way is best.

I also had some of the duck on its own and it is somewhat gamey, rather like chicken with a strong flavor. In combination with the other ingredients, however, it is quite delightful. The crispy skin is a very nice treat on its own, however, and I found myself nibbling on the skin periodically during after dinner conversation. I think this is one of those experiences that probably varies in quality and presentation, depending on where you go, but based on my experience, definitely worth trying. Surprisingly, it was also not all that expensive I thought, considering the quantity of food. It's a meal that is perhaps too much for just two people, and easily could serve four persons. I recommend it - it's a delicious and fun dining experience!
Table side carving
Roast duck and stir fry dish
Demonstrating how to prepare
Learning how to prepare
ellekape says:
great review, congrats! :)
rotorhead85 says:
Nice Feature!
monky says:
Congrats on this review Brian good review!
Johnpro Johnpro
Just a Chicken ! Aug 11, 2010
I don't know about some peoples how they like the duck so much !

Ok are nice but not so tasteful as my expectations , it looks as a chicken with more soft meat !

I love the ducks and I don't have a good feeling to eat a piece of meat , But I tried ! Was my first time and the last .

Maybe somebody cooked better but personally don't like it so much , maybe was psychological reason :)

Anyway first of all I don't know the name of the restaurant so please if someone can read the sign in Chinese let me know to change the title .

The rest of the dishes good but nothing so tasteful , just a normal Chinese food . The Hotel breakfast was greater :)

Just paid money for nothing !

Some photos also to have a look .
Johnpro says:
Thank you very much Jantima for your help :)
It's very good thing to have Chinese speaking friends :) My problem was the Duck because I love some fowls , birds and is not so easy to eat them :)
Posted on: Dec 03, 2011
spocklogic says:
Yes, Chef, this is how it was served to me. See my tour guide demonstrating:
I thought it was quite good and enjoyed it...
Posted on: Dec 02, 2011
TravChef says:
The name of restaurant is from the character first one is 林 (Lin) 福 (fu) 同 (tong) but has to read backward so you have to called it Tong Fu Lin Restaurant. The meaning is the place for good luck. It's seems that you don't have much luck in picking this restaurant. I used to eat in one very famous and century old restaurant and it is very good.

Normally when we eat we sliced only the cripy skin (with very little of meat) and roll in the rice paper with spring onion, cucumber, and a sauce. The rest of the meat after skin was slice, normally they do something else for you like stir-fried with chili and peanut etc.
Posted on: Dec 02, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About Roast Duck Restaurant

My 3 concubines
We decide to take up Chandlee's recommendation to go to the Jade Hostel where he was staying. He gave me the hostel card with a small map on it so we as real cheapskates we took our change with the p…Beijing Roast Duck Restaurant eating "pato pekines" or Beijing Duck. Sara had told Ana and Paloma several months before they…
The great wall
Today is kind of a big day for me, finally I will visit the Great Chinese Wall, a structure that always has fascinated me. Around 07.10 we had breakfast in the hostel and at 08.00 we left in 2 vans, …Beijing Roast Duck Restaurant, the best place in town so they say. I can really subscribe to that sentence; for only…
The Great Wall of China
We took a 3 hour ride to a less touristy area of the Great Wall called Simatai.  This was a recommendation from a friend that worked out well.  Finally we arrived only to discover that we w…Beijing Roast Duck Restaurant.  It was really nice and they gave us free wine and soda while we waited…

Check Beijing Hotel Deals