Road Trip Tips
Road Trip Tips Reviews
Unusual but Essential Tips for Road Trips Jun 11, 2010
- Know how to change a tire in the dark, AND carry a spare with you! I would have been doomed in the middle of the Kalahari Desert without this knowledge.
- Plan, but plan your trip loosely. My friend and I once thought we would spend an entire day in a little coastal town, only to spend just an hour there. We had already booked a hotel, so we wasted an entire day when we could have continued moving on.
- Always have a stash of cash. You never know when you'll have to pay someone to break into your car or when you venture into a town or country that only takes cash.
- If you are going through long stretches with nothing, ALWAYS stop for fuel at every station you see. You may have 2/3 of a tank left, but it make take 5/6 of a tank to get to the next station.
- Take enough food to last you for at least one meal per day of the trip. Plan to take your breakfast or lunch with you. This keeps you more flexible with time AND cuts your food budget by a third! Also, see above tip: you just may never know how far apart stores and restaurants can be until you're starving.
- Do NOT pack an entire pack of entertainment! You'll never get through it, and it's a waste of space, plus the purpose of a road trip is to SEE the places and to grow in companionship with your fellow traveler(s). Bring ONE book and a journal.
- Make time to stop in places where you meet locals. They have invaluable knowledge of the area and will always teach you something about life.
- Bring a flash light and toilet paper. Sometimes outhouses are pitch black with big spiders.
- Please make sure everyone who is driving actually has a current license with them. Sometimes police ask for these things.
- Finally, if you see handcuffs on the counter of a public restroom... GET OUT!!
1 / 1 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!