River Tamar

Plymouth, England

River Tamar Plymouth Reviews

davidx davidx
The Tamar and tributaries Sep 04, 2010
I see there are 70 Cornish TBers and I suppose you feel that I am nicking it, putting it under Plymouth but what do you expect from a man born as a Plymothian? The river Tamar is the border between Devon and Cornwall

(some on the Cornwall side might say between England and Cornwall!)for most of its length. I readily admit to not knowing it above the Cornish town of Calstock.

it is about 50 miles long and has two major tributaries; these are the wholly Cornish Lynher and the wholly Devon Tavy. I only know the tidal parts of the Lynher; the Tavy is a lovely moorland river at its start, providing names for Mary Tavy, Peter Tavy and Tavistock. Both these rivers and the Tamar itself have numerous minor tributaries.

Here comes a brief trip up the Tamar from its mouth at the west side of Plymouth to Calstock. This is navigable and there are numerous boat trips. Certainly it is best seen from the water. Near the moth it passes the Cremyll (passenger only) Ferry crossing near the Royal Marine Barracks and then passes the large naval dockyard of Devonport. I remember seeing HMS Vanguard here many times.

There is a chain ferry still operating to Torpoint, a much nearer route for south-east Cornwall than the Tamar Bridge further upstream but the source of dire traffic delays before the bridge was built. The to Saltash passage where the later 20th century road bridge and the famous rail bridge built by Isambard Kingdom Brunel stand side by side. The smaller chain ferry here ceased to operate when the bridge opened.

Next sight - Morwellham, on which I mean to do a separate review, an old port for copper and tin mining. We are well out in the country now with wonderful bird life - including avocets as we pass under various ancient bridges and eventually reach Calstock.

Check Plymouth Hotel Deals