River Crab / Blue Water Inn - St. Clair

1337 N River Rd, Saint Clair Michigan, USA

River Crab / Blue Water Inn - St. Clair Saint Clair Michigan Reviews

mslellen mslellen
Fine dining overlooking the Saint Clair River Feb 02, 2013
Lucky me! I had a $175 reward that was expiring in a week - but found an awesome restaurant that accepted it and we invited my sister Gloria and her husband to share in our good fortune.

At first glance this is a really small and unassuming restaurant right on the river. There's also a small hotel here, but if you only took into consideration the look of the hotel you probably would skip the restaurant. Valet parking is free, but we didn't bother since there were plenty of parking spaces so close and it was a nice evening.

Inside of the restaurant is really nice and the view is wonderful. The entire river side of the restaurant is windows and you're right on the Saint Clair River. This is the river where Lake Michigan, Lake Superior and Lake Huron (the 3 largest of the great lakes) passes into Lake Saint Clair then Erie, Ontario and down the Saint Lawrence River. (Lake Saint Clair isn't a Great Lake but it's part of the waterway) It's quite wide at this point and very fast moving (comparable to the Rhein) and you can see Canada on the other side. The river doesn't usually freeze over, but there were huge chunks of ice swiftly passing by. Fascinating to watch.

The wait staff was wonderful, friendly and not pretentious like some fine dining restaurants can be. It felt comfortable to laugh and visit and really relax and enjoy the meal. Wine list was reasonable too - some expensive wines but the majority of them not over priced and of good quality. We drank two bottles, at $32 a bottle - a really nice Pinot Noir from California.

We ordered two appetizers, mussels which were good, and calamari - which was Really Good - both suggested by our waiter. Doug had the bouillabaisse and said it was wonderful - so good he would only let me have the tiniest of tastes. Jim had crab cakes and Gloria the salmon. Me - steamed lobster - like they have in heaven! It was delicious!

For desert Doug had his favorite, Cream Brulee. Gloria and I shared a bread pudding which was also wonderful.

Our dinner bill was more than the $175, but that was okay, we had one of the best meals I can remember having in a long time. I can't wait to go back and would highly recommend stopping in if you're ever in the area, even if only for drinks and to take in the view.
My date with a lobster!

Compare Singer Island Hotel Rates (<1km away)

River Crab / Blue Water Inn - St. Clair Map