Riu Palace Tropical Bay

Riu Palace Tropical Bay Rates and Deals

Riu Palace Tropical Bay Negril Reviews

Chiefjmh Chiefjmh
All inclusive including great service Nov 23, 2012
This was my first trip to Jamaica, so I picked Negril based on the recommendation of a friend who lived there in the past. Riu Palace was overall an excellent place to call home for a few days. It is a very large resort but I still felt the friendliness of smaller boutique hotels. The staff were friendly, professional, and focused on making the visitors relax and enjoy their holiday. From reception to pool bar staff, house cleaning, and Negril restaurant all my requests were met with "no problem mon". I never had to ask a second time for anything nor wait any unreasonable time.

The beach was clean and well kept. There may be slightly nicer beaches around but I could find nothing wrong with this one. I was never bothered by 'vendors' to buy anything along the beach. The staff at the water sport center(sorry I forget the name), were just like the rest of the hotel, friendly and helpful. I took a short sailing lesson ($20), then sailed a Hobie nearly every day for an hour or two. The lesson was easy to understand and professional. I looked into diving and snorkeling which are offered from there but just never got around to doing it.

The rooms were spacious and clean. The bed was a bit hard for my preference. I was in a beach view sweet the first 3 days and it was very nice. The exercise facility was quite typical of most hotels, nothing special but I was able to get reasonable workouts in. The spa staff were friendly and professional, but to me the prices were a bit high ($120 for massage, $40 pedicure).

The food was satisfactory with a good variety of options offered at the buffets. The only dinner service I had was at the Japanese restaurant. It was passable but certainly nothing special. I preferred dining out and about the town. It was a short taxi ride of about 5 to10 minutes to the many street side food vendors,, restaurants and clubs. I don't know the one way taxi fare as I had a driver who just hung out and waited for me. Not a bad way to go if your budget allows ($40-$60 for the evening) as they will steer you to the safest places and keep you away from potentially dangerous ones. I know there is some evening entertainment at the resort but I did not hang around to see it. I prefer to spend time with locals in their haunts.

I would recommend the Tropical Palace to first timers or those who just want to relax by the pool or beach. I can't imagine being disappointed there. I likely wouldn't stay at an all inclusive again as I spent a lot of time away from the resort.
lynn1975 lynn1975
Not For Lively Single Travelers May 09, 2011
I stayed at this resort October 20-25. I found this hotel far overpriced. RIU is known for sub par food but usually there is still so many choices you couldn't go hungry, this was not the case here. I arrived on a Wednesday afternoon to be told that the dinner reservations are only taken every 2 days and since they had done them Wed. morning I could not again until Fri. I tried the buffet several nights and had a hard time finding food and many days ate just cheese and crackers. I tried the buffet one day at lunch and it was the same exact foods that had been on the night before buffet and it was cold the chips and quac. the chips were stale. My room was broken into the first day and my camera's stolen, the manager lied to my face and told me all staff is searched on their way out and my camera's would be found if taken by staff. In fact the workers are not checked as my onsite travel rep. verified and I watched them leave on many nights.This hotel has rooms on 3 floors however no elevators or covered walk ways, getting form your room to bar, or dinner or lobby means walking some distance in the rain when weather exists. This isn't the biggest deal if it wasn't for the fact that you pay more then club resorts because this is a palace. I spent much time at RIU Club Negril as that was much better in my opinion. Their is no dance club or very active bar area's at Palace Tropical Bay. The water sports department is based out of the RIU club and only send a boat down to Tropical when needed. Entertainment staff was non existent and awful at Palace but the usual RIU great amount of energy presence and activities and talent at RIU Club. I found the staff much friendlier as well. Room service was a joke as multiple guests including myself called at night and were told no one was on until morning. My room fridge had Sprite, coke, and seltzer water. No beer at all, I called at 8pm and was told tomorrow they would bring some, it never came. I went down to desk and bar and was told they could not give any bottles for room only 2 cups at a time.These resorts are not right next door walking is not very feasible except in broad daylight as you must walk in the water or on the busy unlit highway outside of town about 1- 1.5 miles, taxi's charge $5 each way. I had a oceanview room however I had only a pool view, I complained and was told my room was a partial ocean view ( yes maybe if the trees didn't exist). I love RIU's generally but will never stay at this one again, I am way to young and seeking fun and excitement. I will return to Negril but will be staying for certain at RIU Club Negril or a non AI.
My Room up Top to the right
The Building
whisperslow whispers…
Living in the "fish bowl" in Jamaica Jun 23, 2011
Loved this resort so much I became a Riu Rewards Members. I like the fact of 24 hr Lattes availabe at the lobby bar. four elegant dining restaurants. Piano bar. Martinis, Martinis, Martinis always available. Riu has resorts in MoBay and Ocho Rios which I plan on visiting real soon
marldeep marldeep
Affordable/beautiful, clean resort Jun 11, 2011
I thought the resort was great. Clean, and staff was friendly. Cute entertainment. Lots of activities in the resort. The club in the resort was not bad either. Food was good. Had Jamaican food but also threw in some American food. This is the first resort I have ever stayed in, so I don't have a basis for comparison, but I thought it was nice.
bashmentbabe bashment…
Better this time around Jul 13, 2010
Ok so third time to Jamaica ... Second time to this resort, I first stayed here in June 2008 and this hotel was in the middle of being refurbished... in 2009 we returned to Jamaica and stayed at the couples resort just down the way from this one as we got a bit of hassle from the entertainment team here the first time around, However we decided to return to this hotel July 2010 after refurbishment.

Great improvements ... they are just little things but they really give the hotel just that bit 'extra'.... Changes = the all night pizza place situated by the lobby has been closed and instead there is 24hour room service, the pizza place has been turned in to a piano bar which serves cocktails all night and gives the lobby a bit of a better look, in light of the new all night piano bar the old disco has been moved from this hotel in to the sister hotel just 2 minutes down the road which guests are allowed to use. Entertainment team = now this was our one major complaint last time we stayed here and I have to say that it has improved immensely, they now have a lady in charge of the entertainment staff and she is a lot more firm with them in terms of hassling female guests :) so no problems this time around.

The pool now has sun loungers inside, so you can sunbathe in the pool which is fantastic :) and also the swim up bar is still there... Fab !

rooms were always clean.

Didn't try the speciality restaurants this year but the buffet was great...although breakfast was pretty much the same things everyday... there was a wide variety. Dinner and lunch there was always something new and different to try. :)

Overall the refurbishment and new management have done this place the world of good as although it was pretty good before ... it is now excellent.
amazed says:
congrats on being featured
Posted on: Jul 31, 2012
manoela28 says:
great second reveiw of this hotel chery;
Posted on: Aug 12, 2010
bashmentbabe bashment…
Great time at the Riu :) Feb 08, 2009
The Riu Tropical bay has an excellent location right on the west coast in Bloody bay I think bloody bay is the best beach in negril.

When we first arrived we were given a room on the ground floor however there were alot of mosquitoes so we asked to be moved as we were not very happy with this room and were going to be staying in it for 3 weeks so they upgraded us to a beachfront room with a mozzie net on the balcony which was perfect.

Room = the room was fairly big and spacious, and I think the maid service was also very good sometimes a little late however still cleaned very well and lovely towel art and flowers left for us :)

the bathroom was ok nothing spectacular but again clean and enough room to do make up etc... ohh if you are a woman bring your own hairdryer as the one in the bathroom has very low voltage and can only be pulled out so far, im glad I brang mine :)

balcony view was excellent and nice for relaxing at sunset.

The pool bar was a delight,with Andrew & Crazy Diana leading the show, The extreme left side of the beach is a bit of a walk to the pool bar(when you go up,get a handful of drinks, you can drink one just walking back) about 100 yards or so and another 50 yards or so to the jerk hut, which supplies excellent jerk chicken and other food, beware of the HOT sauce :)

The grounds were always maintained to a high standard with gorgeous scenery such as palm trees etc.

The staff were friendly and not always looking for a tip! We did however tip as they fully deserved it! No matter what you ask the response would always be " No problem man"

the entertainment team were cool watch out for ninja you will always hear him before you see him he's the one with the crazy hair.

I wont mention names but a few of the Entertainment team are a bit pushy espeshially towards young women and it can come across quite intimidating and harassing if your just looking for a quiet time or a relaxing holiday just be firm with them and let them know that you would rather be left alone.

The dinner buffet was actually pretty great there was lots of variety every day and there is a jamaican corner with typical and traditional jamaican dishes which i nearly always had on my plate.

I would highly recommend the japanese restaurant its very nice and the service from the staff in here is spectacular i think the best in the whole hotel.

The steak house was open air but with a lovely breeze from the ocean and the sound of the music from the stage so a really nice atmosphere and again a delicious meal.

overall great place to stay but the one main complaint was the entertainment team were a little pushy.
balcony view
main stage
bostonjoe says:
Im not surprised they were pushy at all hahaha, Anyone who has been to Jamaica should know that. But its good to see your a strong girl cuz most of the girls I know would have fell for their offers. Jamaica is a cool place you just have to be the right type of person to enjoy it. But hey....good review once again!!!

Posted on: Feb 09, 2009
gemini59 says:
Sorry to hear that the entertainment team was a bit pushy.
Posted on: Feb 08, 2009
Libeachgrl84 Libeachg…
Best All-Inclusive Jun 26, 2009
I have stayed in this beachside all-inclusive many times, and I have never expeirenced a major problem. The rooms are open and big. as well as the bathrooms. The resort has lush greenery and many palm trees on the beach to hide in the shade on a hot day. The hotel is situated in Bloody Bay, which is not on the famed 7 mile beach in Negril, but it is just as lovely. It sits in a horseshoe bay looking out into the ocean just north of the 7 mile beach. Downtown Negril and the West End are just a short drive away.

The restaurants in the hotel are very good as well, the Japanese restaurant being my favorite. Try the fried ice cream for desert!

Non-motorized water sports are included and the staff is very friendly and helpful. A few of the local staff have become my friends that I continue to visit to this day. Over all, Riu Tropical Bay is a ncie 5-star resort and worth the extra money.
Main Lobby
Stairs leading up to main lobby in…
Live Reggae on the beach!! Irie

• Water Activities
  • Horse Riding
  • Playground
  • Volleyball
  • Tennis Courts (outdoor)
  • Surfing
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Jacuzzi
  • Massage
  • Spa & Wellness Centre
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Towels