Riu Palace Las Americas

Check Cancun Hotel Deals

Riu Palace Las Americas Cancun Reviews

SunshineFelicia Sunshine…
Incredible luxury at a reasonable cost! Jan 26, 2011
It starts as soon as you arrive and the smartly dressed doorman welcomes you into the humongous and opulent lobby. No matter how stressful your journey there was – it is over now. You can’t help but unwind. The friendly hotel desk staff makes registration as quick and painless as possible making sure to supply cocktails and refreshments immediately. They discuss numerous helpful hotel details and amenities such as making dinner arrangements, the outdoor pools and the pool bar, live in house entertainment, the spa, and how to arrange excursions should you choose to (gasp!) leave these warm inviting accommodations. The bracelet on your wrist allows you to indulge in food and beverages in any of the bars and restaurants as well as the bars and food establishments of the Riu next door and the Riu Caribe across the Hotel Zone if you are looking for a change of pace or need a free meal while away! There is also a small dance club next door. I preferred the live show but I’m glad we stopped over at the Riu.

INSIDER TIP: They will automatically give you the rail vodka, gin or other spirits at every bar unless you ask. Upon request all top shelf liquor is happily provided at no additional cost. I wish I had realized that my first day. I may go to Cancun to relax, party, and drink far too many cocktails but I’m not really an “Ugly American”- I promise!

Room service was prompt and polite. We took advantage of the coffee vending machine (on every other floor I believe) every chance we got, it was delicious! The room was decadent and comfortable with a living area next to the balcony and a large bathroom. Three ladies and their sundries were no issue. It isn’t possible for any room facing the ocean in this hotel to have a bad view! Our view from the 6th floor was stunning.

This resort aims to do everything for you. They will spoon feed you an entire vacation if you let them. There are folks who sell trinkets on the beach but they also arrange vendors around the outdoor promenade some evenings for guests to leisurely enjoy. There’s something elegant about shopping under those large tropical ceiling fans. They have the pottery artisans set up their paint-your-own-pottery stands at both hotels. (small fee) You can enjoy quality creative time together and pick up your greatly improved and heavily detailed pottery at the end of the day or purchase their ornate works of art. The rowdy entertainment staff (think modern day Mexican Dirty Dancing) gets everyone involved in the fun and party pool bar area. Be careful, they are terrible flirts! Play a rousing game of water volleyball or perhaps another "naughty" game. Drink way too much? No worries! We literally saw them help an overly inebriated guest out of the pool and promptly put her into the hotel wheelchair (Now that's Class!)and take her back to her room to the applause of a cheering crowd. If you want some quiet time instead of the energetic music you can enjoy the pool off the main lobby area with it’s built in comfortable sleep lounges. There is also an outdoor area to eat/enjoy that often has a taco bar or other quick, easy, enjoyable eats. The “Tio Pepe” restaurant was by far my favorite! The Tapas were delicious, very authentic and I’ve never had better Sangria! Los Arcos would be a good second. It’s hard to beat all you can eat desserts. I missed our reservation at Krystal (positive reviews from friends) and I was unimpressed with the Japanese place. Some of the food in the main dining room was a bit plain. If I could give the Hotel 4.5 stars I would. Reason being it was difficult to get reservations at the specialty restaurants. The desk to make reservations wasn’t always staffed in the morning when we would start our day and when we returned our desired location was full. They won’t let you make the reservations ahead of time either. (Perhaps tipping would help this?) One evening we showed up dressed for dinner at the Japanese place. We waited to see if someone was late because after 10 minutes they give up your table to waiting guests. This is standard policy and works for or against you - so don’t forget! We got the table after 15 minutes. Yay us!

I did pamper myself with not one but two massages while I was there. When I stayed at the Omni (also in Cancun) I was less than impressed with my masseur there so I wasn’t expecting much from the massage at the Riu Palace Las Americas. I was SO wrong! The gentleman here was so wonderful, polite with the hands (and quiet!) I had to go back and have another massage before we left. It was the only extra expense I had while staying at this hotel. It says no tipping, but I did tip the people who took really good care of us during our stay. If you are looking for an authentic Mexican holiday with local food, culture and adventure this isn’t the place for you. This is a perfect hotel to stay at if you are looking to relax, unwind and spoil yourself without a care or worry the entirety of your trip.

We did walk back and forth to the nightlife area (Coco Bongo!) at dusk and in the wee hours of the morning. We had 3-4 cabs stop to offer us rides and I never felt like we were in any danger.

I got what I thought was an amazing rate for the amenities included from a travel agent who booked through Mexico Unlimited – a king size ocean view suit for 5 nights – all inclusive for about $700 per person and that included transportation from the airport! I would absolutely stay here again or better yet at a fancy Riu somewhere else! I hope this is helpful it's my first review.
Bliss
The view looking down from our roo…
View of the hotel from the room.
The hotel from the beach
wonderful review
RyanCorrea says:
Cool review! Insider Tip - ahem...very helpful :)
Posted on: Feb 03, 2011
csuliin says:
Fabulous review! I want to go there next time I am in Mexico!
Posted on: Jan 31, 2011
LISAM0514 LISAM0514
I can't wait to go back!! Feb 03, 2011
This place was amazing. I have been to Cancun many times at different hotels but The RUI palace will definately be my place to stay next time I plan a trip there. The hotel was absolutely beautiful. All the staff was extremely helpful. The rooms were wonderful. We ended up upgrading to ocean view suite but I think all of the rooms were the same type. The only thing I would complain about which I find at every hotel I have stayed at in Cancun is around 2 o clock the sun goes behind the hotel. Also, the food wasn't that great but the drinks were good :)
sylviandavid says:
thanks for this nice review.... the staff is the most important thing and it appears they were great.
haleyeah haleyeah
Beautiful Absolutely Beautiful May 02, 2011
This is a must go too. The crowed isn't very young. More couples and families but it is superb. It is a bit pricey, however. I went with my family about a year ago. It is all inclusive. I would definitely go back. There were 5 restaurants inside the hotel. All first class. The live entertainment is also sweet. Always something going on every minute of the day. The beach was a little rocky inside the water, but that is expected most places in MX after the hurricanes of 2004-2006.
spiritualnomad spiritua…
Best Place in cancun Sep 24, 2010
I stayed at the Riu Pallace and for being an all inclusive resort, they spared no expense on the luxury! I paid a little more than a lesser hotel but I got ALOT more value since this place was so incredible!!! I have been to Cancun before but this place hands down is the nicest, warmest and friendliest place I have seen in all of Mexico. The food, Fantastic! The activities, great and was an excellent value.
Nice Review.... thanks!

• Spa & Wellness Centre
  • Beauty Salon
  • Body Treatments
  • Facial Treatments
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Child Pool