Riu Palace Hotel Cabo San Lucas

Check Cabo San Lucas Hotel Deals

Riu Palace Hotel Cabo San Lucas Reviews

Matty_g81 Matty_g81
RIU Palace is a 5* hotel that lives up to its name! Apr 17, 2013
I was at the RIU Palace July 6 to July 13 and traveled with a friend who was the same age as me 23.

I will start out with the negatives during my stay on this holiday. The ocean was not swim able the under toe is really strong and an older couple got sucked in and had to be rescued. The sand on the beach was a little bit pebbly but not a major concern (I’m not being picky its letting you know!). Some times during the day but mostly at night it was a bit breezy and would recommend long sleeved shirts and pants (unless you intend to go to a club down town as they are pretty hot, you’ll have a mix of people wearing jeans or shorts to dress shirts to t-shirts so pretty much anything goes).

Now to the positives: The resort really is a palace, our room was pretty big. We had a his and hers sinks, a bath tub/shower, two double beds, mini bar filled with sodas and corona along with a liquor dispenser (Bacardi rum, San Jose Tequila, Smirnoff Vodka and Brandy), a little step down with a couch and TV which was next to our balcony. I was really surprised with the food it tasted very good. The buffet was good seafood was very fresh, and the ala carte restaurants are fantastic. The staff was incredibly friendly and ensured that we had an awesome stay (there is no pressure to tip, but they work hard for there money and if you do tip the people that you think you will be seeing a lot during the trip e.g. a favorite bartender). There is always something to do day and night with there animation team or just relax in the sun we had 8 day of sunshine (I did not see one cloud in the sky the whole trip). It the temperature was in the mid 30’s and did not feel any humidity. The hotel atmosphere had a mix of different ages but was predominately older couples. It did not get busy until later in the week, so the hotel disco was not busy, if you wanted to party I recommend going downtown Los Cabos, Bars: El Squid Roe (probably one of the busiest places there, great mix of music), Cabo Wabo (sometimes there is a live band but also have a mix of rock dance and hip hop), giggling marlin (dance hip hop also with a pretty funny show), love shack, Roxx.

Overall I thing this vacation is a perfect fit for people of all ages single, couples or married. This is my second RIU and it has really has proven itself. I’d defiantly love to go back.
michelle0724 michelle…
Ruined by staff Apr 25, 2012
My husband and I went on vacation to Cabo, Mexico during April 14-21 of 2012. We stayed at the Riu Palace and this was our first time enjoying an all-inclusive vacation. The hotel was very beautiful and well kept. The staff was always prompt with their services. The room we stayed in was a garden view room with two beds pushed together to make a king size bed which we thought was strange. The room was muggy and at times smelled bad. It also came with a safe where we could keep our important documents and money. However, the safe was not a digital safe where you can punch in a random numerical code; it had a physical key with a rope attached, meaning we had to take the key with us everywhere we went. This was an annoyance considering we did a lot of activities outside the hotel and could easily lose it, so we decided that we would hide the key in our room in a safe place. All was well until the last day of our stay at the Riu Palace.

On the last day of our vacation, at around 230pm, my husband and I decided to take a walk on the beach, get a henna tattoo retouched and lay out for a bit. Before we left, we counted our money to see how much we had left (we had $1,400 US dollars) and put it back in the safe and hid the key in a pocket of a dress in the closet. We tucked the key in nicely so it was out of view. We had promised our henna tattoo guy that we would get him a bottle of water because it was a really hot day. We came back to the room around 320pm, laid around for about 20 minutes before we left again to give him a bottled water. We came back to the room at about 5pm, got ready and went out to dinner at 6pm. We had some spare time after dinner before the nightly entertainment started and decided to check out the Riu Santa Fe next door to the Riu Palace. We went back to our room at about 8pm to grab some money just in case and that’s when we realized our money was gone!! ALL OF IT! We called hotel security and they came to our room with a machine that checks our door slot as to who came into our room while we were away. They keep a log as to who enters each room at what time. They found that at 351pm, a hotel employee, named Roberto Ramirez, came into our room to restock the bar/refrigerator. Other than that, nobody else besides ourselves entered our room between 2pm and 8pm. This guy went through our personal belongings, found the key and stole all of our money.

We went down to the Director of the hotel’s office named Yvonne Bauer, and told her our situation. She could care less! She did absolutely NOTHING to help us in any way. She said that it was our fault that we should have taken the key with us everywhere we went. She said that the hotel policy does not cover stolen property unless there was damage at entry. She also said that there was no proof that Roberto stole the money and that she doesn’t think that he would steal because all employees know that there is a log kept as to what rooms they enter by the key they use. She basically was telling us that we were lying! She told us that the only way to do anything about this was to make a statement to the police. We asked if she could call the police to come to the hotel and were told that unless there is violence, they will not bother to come. So the assistant director of the hotel, Jose Pascual Fernandez, and another employee drove us to the police station through back roads with no lighting at 9pm at night. When we got to the police station, Jose wrote our statement for us in Spanish because nobody at the police station spoke English. While we were there, another cop came walking in with an AK-47 machine gun! We thought we were going to die. Luckily, we made it out alive and came back to the hotel where a cop followed us and then told us that we needed to go back to the station to make it an investigation. There was no point in doing that because we had to leave in 12 hours to go to the airport and we knew that the hotel and the police were not going to take this matter seriously and pursue it. Plus it was really scary and dangerous. We had no choice but to leave without anything being done about it or ever getting our money back.

Because the hotel is not taking any action about this matter, it basically encourages their employees to steal from paying and trusting guests at their hotel. They said that there was no proof, then why did security tell us the exact employee down to his name, that came in our room at 351pm? The money did not grow legs open the safe and walk away. There IS proof of exactly who took the money!

If the hotel had handled the situation better, maybe it wouldn’t have been that bad, but they are a billion dollar chain and they handled this matter like shady business people. I will never recommend this hotel or any other Riu hotel to anybody. My husband and I went there based on other peoples’ experiences there that we knew and decided to stay there as well. I am also writing their corporate headquarters a letter about our experience and the lack of compassion, professionalism and ethics that the Riu employees stand by. It makes me sick that they could get away with something like this. Roberto Ramirez got away with burglary and will still keep his job because the hotel director will not take any action against him. If this happened anywhere else in the world, I believe that this situation would have been handled a lot differently.
Vikram says:
That is very sad, and annoying to happen during a holiday. But I'm still not sure why you left the key to the safe in the pocket of a dress placed in your closet. Was there no way you guys could've carried it with yourselves?
Posted on: Apr 25, 2012
t1n0 t1n0
Great Pace! Apr 25, 2010
We spent an extended weekend in the Riu and we had a great time. We were hanging out by the pools, participated in activities and did some tours. The food was awesome, just alone the breakfast buffet was almost enough for the whole day.

The people who stayed there were pleasant, a nice mix and not too crazy.

The service was immaculate.
krayzayinsane krayzayi…
RIU, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico Apr 30, 2008
Lovvvved it! We went here November 2006. All inclusive is the way to go! The hotel is very pretty, and it's huge. The pictures on-line, look exactly wut the hotel looks like in person. We went parasailing, which I would recommend to everyone. It's a great view. The only thing is, if you decide to parasail, the staff told us it would be a 15 minute walk up the beach to the rocks, when it really took us a little over an hour to get there. Take a cab! The hotel's right on the beach, so it's easy access. You just can't swim in the water, as they say when you walk out, it just drops. So the waves come crashing, as we found out the first night. We went on the beach towards the water, and were just walking around. Next thing you know, there's a big wave coming for us, and we took off running, and it still got us! I would recommend to everyone to stay here. I wanna go back!
The View From Our Room at the RIU …
On the Beach

• Beach (Direct Access)
  • Nightclubs
  • Billiards
  • Playground
  • Tennis Courts (outdoor)
  • Computer
  • Barber/Beauty Shop
  • Beauty Salon
  • Body Treatments
  • Facial Treatments
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Towels