Riu Hotel Ocho Rios

Check Ocho Rios Hotel Deals

Riu Hotel Ocho Rios Reviews

seangee seangee
I'm Included Nov 09, 2011
The Riu Ocho Rios was my first experience staying at an all inclusive resort and it was all good. The reason for my stay, was a friends wedding was going on and this is where everyone was staying. The hotel front desk staff were great- they had us checked in as soon as we arrived, no waiting. We asked for an extra bed because there was 3 of us and it was up to our room ASAP. The room was super high quality and had a nice balcony. The food was decent enough but we were only able to eat at the various buffets. The other restaurants required reservations and were all booked during our stay. The all you can drink part was great and we took full advantage. There are even a couple bars that stay open all night.  The beach was top notch with trees all over, so you were never too far from the shade. The one drawback was the fun patrol that roam the beach trying to rope people into activities-  I can't stand forced fun.
fun patrol antics
Shekila Shekila
Soooooo fuuuuun! Jan 28, 2011
Went here for a wedding last year and love love loved it. It was soooo nice and soooo fun and the people the environment was just cool. Love the bartenders,they were soo nice,and flirtatious too....lol....I actually ran into one of the hotel bartenders at the club and we danced the entire night away as if we knew each other forever....lol.....but the hotel was beautiful. Good entertainment good food,and love the fact that there's was a little club in the hotel. The only reason I gave the cleanliness a 4 star is because of the way the hotel is made. It very beautiful but it's like this modern airy type...hmmmmm,how can I explain it? Like the hallways and the lobby of the hotel has no doors or windows.it's like open so when you walk out of your room door into the hallways you can go over to the wall and see directly outside,so the hallways were full of little buggys,and I hate bugs...but I learned to just slowly walk past the mini bats is what I called them,until they moved then il go fly down the hall screaming.....lol........but overall,great great great
Sabrina0523 Sabrina0…
Not up to RUI Quality Feb 22, 2010
The Con's -

First, we arrived and they "lost" our reservation. After a 10 hour plane ride and 2 hours in transit, we arrived at the resort only to have to wait for oer an hour before they put us in a room.

- The pillows were lumpy and the bed was hard. Our rooms had a moldy smell to it.

- The don't have electronic keys, so they give you a metal key on a cumbersome key chain with your room number right on it. No very smart.

- It took us 3 days of asking to get a lock for our in-room safe.

The Pros

- Food was pretty good for a buffet. A lot of american food and some authentic Jamaican cuisines. You MUST try the jerk chicken on the beach. It was fabulous!

- only a 10 minute taxi ride into downtown Ochi.

- Take advantage of the nautical hut. You can go snorkeling through the hotel for $16 or take a hour long scenic boat tour for $11.

- Skip the resort entertainment (very lame lip-synching) and venture out to downtown Ochi. Be warned, the Jamaican nightlife does not get started until midnight or 1AM and goes late into the morning.

- The pool facilities and beaches were really nice. They do have beach security to prevent the vendors from sneaking into the resort to bother the people on the beach, but they still manage to find you.
arlene0725 arlene07…
Jul 31, 2010
They are just the best for 'all inclusive' treatment
Discovery Bay - where Christopher …
The view from our balcony
First day of ahhhh....
Toasting to a good vacation
MarcW1976 MarcW1976
Perfect Feb 18, 2010
februari 2009 I traveld to Jamaica, Ocho Rios. What can I say? Just Perfect! The room, service, surroundings, activities, drinks, food..
true_critic true_cri…
Riu Ocho Rios ~ The WORST Vacation EVER Jan 03, 2010
RIU OCHO RIOS ~ The worst Vacation EVER !

My vacation was the worst and most horrible experience anyone could EVER  have. I have already notified ALL or my friends, family, neighbors, acquaintances, co workers, distant relatives, EVERYONE that I know that Jamaica IS NOT a good place to go, that the people were RUDE, Condescending, Unhelpful, Not Courteous, and overall VERY Unpleasant.

When I arrived I was directed to a travel booth upon which I was told to stand in a spot in the airport for 2 hours until the shuttle picked me up and took another one and a half hours to get me to the resort. When I was greeted by the staff at the resort upon arrival was the 1st and last time I ever was shown any type of "customer service" or "hospitality"

I was sexually harassed by a guy that claimed to be "head of security" and he even forced his way into my room and exposed himself to me, I was also constantly followed and haggled by other male staff members who were trying to flirt and make sexual advances. I was very VERY displeased with the "customer service" at the reception desk of the hotel, the women working would act like they didn't see you, and would just stand around and chat with each other, AND then act put off if you spoke up to get their attention! Also one male staff member called my room one day 6 times, saying that he couldn't stop thinking about me and that he wanted to see me after work, and that did I need him to come massage me, etc. etc.  This is disgusting that I cannot go on a Christmas Vacation and just relax and enjoy myself !

The food was AWFUL. Even fast food is better than what was being served in the restaurants there, and I also got sick from the food. I think the theory is to serve enough liquor and keep everyone drunk so they don't care about the bad food, bad service, and overall bad feel of the place. The food was buffet style for the majority unless you made reservations to eat at the two fancier places. It did not matter though, because all the food was horrible.

I tried to go scuba diving and started having ear and chest pains in the pool before the dive, I opted to quit the pool lesson and not do the dive because I was worried about my health. I was offered NO REFUND, even though I had not even completed the pool portion of the lesson. In fact I was still owed $1 because the girl taking payment said she did not have change. I was instructed to come back at the end of the day to collect my change!  This is just BAD customer service and BAD business ethics.

I ended up leaving my vacation two days early to return home, because it was that HORRIBLE. I was notified that I would not get a refund and would have to buy a new ticket home, as if this fact would change my mind about leaving. I paid $600 just to get home because anything was better than being stuck in Jamaica.

It amazes me that a place that is stimulated largely on tourism could be so rude and have an overall lack of  any customer service or hospitality.

Even now I get sick just thinking of the bad experience and the rudeness that I encountered.

I will NEVER go to Jamaica EVER again. Also I would NEVER EVER use this travel/booking site EVER again (beach destinations) .

If I had had even the slightest clue that the trip would have been even half as awful as it was, I would have never even gone!

I will continue to tell people about my bad experience in Jamaica and the worst Christmas EVER.

Also even though $1 U.S. dollar is about equal to $83 Jamaican dollars; there is no revised exchange rate when purchasing anything from souvenirs, taxi rides, etc. I was constantly hustled or at least they were trying to hustle me. One man carved my name into a small wooden turtle while I was browsing his small roadside stand of nick knacks and art, he then told me I had to buy it for $20 U.S. dollars because he carved my name in it and otherwise I would have bad luck. Unfortunately I am superstitious, so I bought it !
It rained ALOT !
The room was decent but The bed wa…
This is the feel of the surroundin…
Chokk says:
Sounds like U had the worst time ever - I on the other hand had a wonderful holiday spending 18 days driving around the whole island.
Posted on: Nov 16, 2011
lynn1975 lynn1975
Unforgettable Can't Wait To Go back Oct 17, 2009
I traveled to the RIU October 2009 and am already scheduled to return in December. I traveled here solo and the staff enveloped me as one of their own, I went to all the local toursit attractions by day but went home and out with the locals and staff in my evenings. The staff here would do anything for any guest, they look after your safety at all times, they are constantly trying to entertain and engage you and have become my friends for a lifetime, most every employee at this resort knows me by name and I know not only their names but their childrens. I wish I could afford to go monthly, it was the most relaxation and stress free vacation I have ever had.
PeacefulChaos Peaceful…
Paradise Dec 05, 2009
I've stayed at this hotel a number of times over the past few years - my most recent visit was in May 2009.

All in all, it is the best hotel I have ever stayed in and certainly worth the money. As an all-inclusive it literally caters to your every need - a huge choice of foods and activities, and only a few steps away from the beach.

It's only flaws are that it is situated just outside Ocho Rios and so you have to get a taxi to get there, and the free watersports that you don't have to pay extra for are limited, in comparison to the other hotels I have stayed in, in Jamaica.

Note that the hotel really does cater for you in every way, but you won't see the real Jamaica until you step out! It's paradise, but a created version of paradise from the clean air-conditioned rooms to the hotel staff's Americanised accents. To meet real Jamaicans and see the real Jamaica, make an effort to leave the hotel (at least once!) and visit Ocho Rios or a nearby town.

A few tips:

1. The private taxis that the hotel offer cost about 10 times the price in comparison to a local taxi. To use a local taxi, walk to the entrance of the hotel, stand by the side of the road and flag down any of the white cars that pass. They are local taxis and will stop for you if they have space to take you. Most of them go straight to Ocho Rios town centre (about 10 min drive away) but it's best to double check.

2. Despite some bad press, Jamaica is generally safe, but as in most tourist destinations you should be safe and aware. Keep your belongings with you and don't flash the cash too much. Only carry as much money as necessary and use JAMAICAN dollars, not American ones. (You often get a better rate that way and only commercialised shops and establishments accept US dollars)

Have fun!
ryanjamesatkins_5 ryanjame…
Dec 01, 2007
The Riu is a very solid resort. The rooms are spacious and very well maintained. There are 7 restaurants, all of which offer something a little different and all are very tasty. Plenty of watering holes scattered throughout the resort and along the beach. The beach is very beautiful and features water sports as well as beach volleyball and soccer.

All in all a very decent place to spend some well deserved vacation time! You can't go wrong with the Riu.
sylviandavid says:

• Water Activities
  • Billiards
  • Horse Riding
  • Playground
  • Tennis Courts (outdoor)
  • Kayaking
  • Solarium
  • Spa & Wellness Centre
  • Body Treatments
  • Facial Treatments
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Towels