Riu Cancun

Riu Cancun Rates and Deals

Riu Cancun Reviews

Abidos Abidos
Disappointing Cancun All-Inclusive Apr 26, 2011
I was really disappointed in the RIU Cancun and don't think it deserves a 4 star rating. I went for a quick Thanksgiving get-away and chose an all-inclusive resort to treat myself.

My main complaint with the hotel wasn't the room or the bed. Both were perfectly fine. It's the food and drink that were the biggest letdown.

Most of the house drinks (standard) were poured with some unheard of off-label brand of liquor. I'm not very picky with the brand of liquor but whatever they used was so disgusting the drinks weren't palatable. The weird off-label liquor was the same as in the rooms.

Tip: The cocktail lounge was the only bar serving branded liquor.

The next issue I had was with the food. Our one special night of a-la-carte dining by the sea (as opposed to the buffet) was so bad we walked out when the main course was delivered and hit the buffet. It was not really a-la-carte either. They took orders but there were only about 3 entree choices. Later the food came out in big batches and they asked which one you would like, sort of like an assembly line.

Cancun is littered with big all-inclusive hotels so steer clear of the RUI. You have plenty of options!
montecarlostar says:
I agree... if you want fancy then make it really fancy! :D Hope the RIU GDL is better, but they have been facing a number of construction problems, so it may not even be ready for the Pan games.
Posted on: May 03, 2011
Abidos says:
There was another RUI next door that looked nicer. There might be good ones but you have to be careful.

My experience with all-inclusive places is: go to the very fancy places. The cheap ones aren't worth it. If you don't want to spend a lot of money then stay in a-la-carte hotels. Then you can splurge on a nice dinner or whatever but at least it's your choice.
Posted on: May 03, 2011
montecarlostar says:
Good to know, as there will be a new RIU hotel in GDL, I'll make sure not to recommend it ;)
Posted on: May 02, 2011
SummerLove1984 SummerLo…
Amazing!!! Apr 06, 2011
I stayed at the RIU cancun the last week of January 2011.

It was the most enjoyable trip of my life!

I had a fabulous time, met amazing people, fabulous location, and excellent staff!

I couldnt have asked for more!

the hotel is located within minutes walking distance to all the bars, starbucks across the street with a mall!

I would love to return and would definitely recommend RIU to anyone wanting to travel to cancun :)
pablob pablob
Sometimes it's nice to treat yourself. Aug 23, 2011
This was one of my first experiences staying all inclusive and it didn't disappoint.

The hotel is fairly modern, but not as modern as some of the hotels in this area. It's not overly 'flashy' but it is rather grand and is situated in a great position on the beach. Having went for a walk along the beach for quite a distance it was quite obvious that this hotel has the best stretch for quite some way.

The rooms were clean, the air conditioning was a life saver and there were plenty of towels and such. Again, it wasn't all flash; old tv (who watches this on holiday anyway?) and the decor was getting a little dated.

The fridge however, was stocked with drinks; beer / coke and there were even optics on the wall incase you fancy a little drinking in your hotel. There's no extra charge for these and a nice cold beer came in pretty welcome after being on the beach!

There were 3 restaurants at the hotel, one Steak, a Japanese and a Brazillian. The Japanese was fantastic, and very different to what we had been eating at the buffets. The Steak house was.. well, who doesn't love steak? The Brazilian restaurant wasn't that impressive, quite honestly I'm not sure what food qualifies as being Brazilian but it felt very similar to the steak house.

As for the buffet, we werent sure what to expect as they can be hit and miss but the hotel put on an absolute feast. I think they would pretty much cater for everyone. You can eat as good or bad as you like here; Plenty of fresh fish, salads, fruit juices or you can fill yourself with burgers, steaks and chips if you like.

There was quite a bit going on in the hotel, on the beach and around the pools and the staff were always roping people in to play games. They even had a 5-a-side world cup football tournament going on at one point. I believe there were also shows on in one of the halls at night, but that wasn't really our thing.

I could talk about all the things to do in Cancun, but imagine they're covered in the other 1000's of reviews. Let's just say that we've stayed here twice now as in two weeks, we still didn't manage to do everything we wanted to!

If you're looking for a great place to stay with amazingly friendly and helpful staff, some great beach and plenty of stuff to do both day and night then you can't go wrong.

Pro tip: Get up early and put some towels down if you want a sun lounger on the beach! If you're looking to go to the Restaurants you will need to book them with a guy near reception. I think you can make two bookings at a time for up to a couple of days in advance. I would suggest doing this in the morning as they can fill up quick.

Any questions, just ask!
Missyfox Missyfox
A little bit of luxury after a week of hell! Jul 13, 2011
When we went to Cancun we got delayed for 24 hours as a bird got stuck in a propeller on the the plane we were expecting to take us home.

We had spent a week in a 3* hotel, funnily enough i can't actually remember the name of it now as it was about five years ago and not a very good one! The food there was awful and we were looking forward to going back home to some nice grub! (We fed most of our food to the Iguanas!)

Thomson put us up in the Riu and what a shock we got! We could not believe how many restaurants there were. We walked in to one and they were holding tacos for us. Wow, back then i would have been happy just to sit down and have an ommelette but there was so much to choose from! The food was delicious and beautifully cooked. Aswell as food art on most of the tables. We were only here a short time but really appreciated the hotel workers as not one was rude, they couldn't have gone out of their way more to help us whilst there!

So, after staying at the Riu in Mexico i try to look for Riu hotels wherever i go as their reputation is brilliant and i'd have to agree totally. We have just booked another from the Riu chain and i can't wait to have a bit of pampering!
1soans 1soans
Great Location Apr 06, 2011
The hotel is perfectly situated if you want to be part of all the action. 3 minutes walk to all the discos. The hotel has various beach and pool area to accomodate all taste. If ou are a pool lover get up early to get a chair but at the beach there is always a chair avalaible. There is rocks in one part of the beach but plenty of nice area to acces the water and the rocks are fun to sit on. The staff is friendley and offers greath service. The food is good but you feel always rushed in the a la carte restaurant. Even if you have a late reservation the food will come at you rapidely. The salmon at the japanese restaurant is awsome. The rooms are located facing the sea and are of good size with a decent balcony. The beds are hard as rock. They put two double beds together to make a king.
guy_brooks guy_broo…
All inclusive and didn't disappoint, all on the blue sea and white sand! Jul 05, 2011
Great holiday went for spring break. Wide range of people and nationalities.

Be sure you check the a la carte restaurants - as they are amazing! Staff could not be more helpful and didn't expect a tip for every bit of advice.

The hotel entertainment staff were second to none.

Not a fan of all inclusive hotels but would definitely go back especially for the price!
rcohoon rcohoon
Great time at Riu Cancun Dec 19, 2009
This was my review that I also posted on Tripadvisor...

7people found this review helpfulI am a home-based travel agent and I just got back from a quick 3-day trip to the Riu Cancun and loved every minute of it. After a recent trip to an all-inclusive in Punta Cana that I really did not like, I was refreshed to return to a resort where quality and value aren't just talking points on a brochure.

The upkeep of the resort is evident everywhere you look; employees are constantly polishing, mopping, cleaning and arranging, and almost all of them will look you in the eye, smile and say "good morning" or "good afternoon."

The food was quite good and very plentiful. I didn't get a chance to experience all of the speciality restaurants, but I did try La Mision steakhouse and loved it! It was so pleasant to sit on an outdoor patio and hear the Caribbean lapping against the sand while enjoying a really tasty ribeye.

The hotel boasts 4 pools, including 2 infinity pools. One pool has a swim-up bar with little alcoves featuring built-in round-tables for people to sit. There are also 2 jacuzzi tubs in this pool. Service and drinks were great; I spent Thanksgiving Day at the swim up bar talking to people. I also enjoyed a swedish massage at the spa while I was there. Quite nice!

The room was very sizable, but unfortunately I got a room on the first floor, so while I could see the ocean, most of the view was blocked by palm trees. Still, a comfortable room with a safe, 3 bottles of liquor and a fully stocked fridge. Beds are very hard but this is the case almost everywhere in Mexico.

I most definitely recommend this resort for singles, couples, seniors and families. There is an enormous mall just steps from the front door too.
The beachfront of Riu Cancun.
Eric says:
Hi Ricky -- thanks for your review and welcome to TravBuddy.
Posted on: Dec 19, 2009
krakers71 krakers71
Affordable luxury by the beach May 07, 2007
This is my the only hotel I always go to while my vacations in Cancun, Mexico. Located in center of everything, all rooms have "ocean view" great food, restaurants and bars, night live shows. Price included everything, beautiful beach right by hotels pool area. Dream vacations only in RIU Cancun.
sylviandavid says:
such a beautiful place..... Love the pictures... Thanks for this review. sylvia
Posted on: Dec 12, 2009

• Spa & Wellness Centre
  • Beauty Salon
  • Body Treatments
  • Facial Treatments
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower