Ristoranti ITALIA

6464 E Tanque Verde Rd, Tucson, AZ, USA

Ristoranti ITALIA Tucson Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
Recipes in the Traditional Italian Trattoria Style Jul 20, 2009
Italia Restaurant is an elegant/ causal fine dinning restaurant located on East Tanque Verde Road. Many refer to it as Casual Elegant, the Englishman would laugh at that wondering what casual elegant meant. Nonetheless I must say I was impressed: Italia offers authentic Italian recipes with the tradition of typical Italian Trattorias (if you have been to Italy you know what I mean). It is Thursday night and I’m feeling rather lazy but I must go out because I have committed to spending an evening with a friend leaving town for the next ten days. When Matthew called me on Monday, I told him I was very tired (which I was, I just did not tell him the reason I felt exceptionally tired on this day). I was not in the mood for anything particular so I agreed to Italian. He asked if I knew the Italia Restaurant down the corner and I shook my head in negative reaction, so off we went.

The sign on East Tanque Verde can easily be missed if one is not paying attention. We had not made reservations; Matthew said he did not think it would be busy on a Thursday night. Turns out he was wrong; the Italia restaurant is getting ready to close down so they are ‘cleaning out their Kitchen and wine cellars’. The place was busy. We were met at the door and directed to the reception area where the lovely attendant asked if we had a reservation, ‘no’ we replied. I immediately turned my attention to the warm colours on the interior of the restaurant; the dinning tables set to sit groups of four, pillar candles lit up above as if to mimic ancient English dinning. The high ceiling and traditional pizza hearth added charm to the setting. On my left was a huge bar and lounge area with a seating area well suited to dine more than ten. By the entrance was a wall freezer wine cellar set to keep the wine cooled at 66 degrees while the temperature in the dinning was set at 71 but well as warm as 78, I wonder if the candles and pizza hearth added warmth.

A minor inconvenience was the waiting to be seated; however we were seated after about 15 minutes of waiting by a lovely young waitress who cheerfully offered us the wine list indicating every thing was half price: she made the wait negligible. The wine list comprised of Italian, South African, More French and Californian wines. I chose a 3 year old dry red Italian Primitivo wine at the cost of $12 a bottle. After the wine was served and our water glasses filled, we made a choice for an entrée’. I ordered a bruchetta while Matthew ordered a garden salad with Italian dressing. What was exciting about my bruchetta entrée’ was the side of sautéed and friend green olives and fresh Italian tomatoes crushed into a paste and served as part of the bruchetta topping, absolutely delicious. I can still feel the tingling of my taste buds just thinking of it.

For the main course, Matthew chose to have mashed potatoes and roasted beef with Italian spices and I all of a sudden got a craving for Spaghetti Bolognese. It was not long before our dinners arrive and I was taken aback by the portions: my plate could have fed three people if I were in Europe and Matthew would have shared with another (don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining infact I took a doggy bag home, so did Matthew).

It is a shame they are closing down, but this is the place I would have recommended to many, if you are in Tucson this weekend (July,24), stop by and you will have your money’s worth.
my plate of spaghetti bolognese
my brushetta