Ristorante Fattoria Montagliari

v. Montagliari, Greve, Italy
Ristorante Fattoria Montagliari - 2 desserts! :) #1 was a rum flavoured cake with ice cream
Ristorante Fattoria Montagliari - No. 2 was ginger flavoured 'house cake of the day' - sinfully good
Ristorante Fattoria Montagliari - The garlic flavoured spaghetti was again, incredible
Ristorante Fattoria Montagliari - Soup was PROPERLY tasty

Ristorante Fattoria Montagliari Greve Reviews

Vikram Vikram
Expensive restaurant with good food, expensive prices and sh1t service May 29, 2010
I normally try not to complain about service or price when I'm on holiday, especially in a place like Italy that does suck a lot of blood out of tourists, but this restaurant was a bit of a joke. We had no choice other than to eat here because it was part of the "winery tour" that we took and this rsnt comes neatly attached to the winery without any other eating place in sight.

Let's get with the positives first - the food is out of the world. Very well prepared, spicy and well cooked. I had a soup (spicy lentil), garlic flavoured spagetti and 2 desserts that were sort of bittersweet..... again intelligent concoction of sorts. The rsnt is located overlooking the gorg Tuscan valley al fresco. You can be assured of wonderful weather, fantastic views and a very airy atmosphere.

Now the negatives - they claim it's a family run establishment which to me would imply that it's cosy, has nice homecooked meals, not touristy at all. Well, what it really means is that they have only about 5 people on the staff - the senile dad, the overworked 60yo mum, 1 help and 2 kids (son's got a "I want to be Brad Pitt but can't get out of this forsaken family business and Godforsaken place" look on his face as he balances a dozen glasses on the tray, and the daughter has this Rip van Winkle "I'm asleep all my life" look). So with such a short unpaid (well, not on official payroll) staff, the service is incredibly slow. They say that Italians like long, old fashioned meals that go on for hours. I can see why. If you're not eating slowly, might as well serve slow enough to make the experience run into 1.5 hours. This was a waste on our money as we were paying our guide to show us around the Tuscan valley, not be stuck with empty stomachs for a meal for 1.5 BLOODY HOURS.

None of them speak English which is fine...well, okay. But they could at least knew a few basic words that one uses to order in a rsnt. The service was terribly rude, the mum especially had a "I'll kill you if you order anything else" look, impatient and testy.

And finally - the price! What a bloody rip-off! Yeah sure, I liked the soup but for that price, I'm sorry. Same with the spaghetti... for the price they charge, I can buy the cook and the utensils! The dessert too was waaaay overpriced for what it delivered.

But I think the worst part was the crowds, the feeling of not being taken care of, and the Godawful amount of time they took to bring out the courses. If they are going to have so many people, then hire more heads for Chrissakes.

Oh, and highlight after we paid our bill was when a honeymoon couple came in and were about to order wine, but the klutz that is the lady owner knocked over 2-3 mugs and broke them, and rudely told the hungry loved up couple to "just sit and wait" whilst she was clearing up the mess! LOL!
Soup was PROPERLY tasty
The garlic flavoured spaghetti was…
2 desserts! :) #1 was a rum flavou…
No. 2 was ginger flavoured "house …
firenze40 says:
Vikram, you certainly did not eat at Montagliari's restaurant because that is NOT their menu, nor does the mother serve te tables. The father is one of the best wine makers in Chianti, far from being senile. They have 2 sons, one is an architect and one has a degree in agriculture mgt. Now, from your comments I deducted your age as been TOTALLY. LIKE about 18. I don't know what wait you're talking about, the serve quickly and efficently. By the way, they also have a cooking school manned by master chefs from Florence. People like you, with your comments that certainly describe another winery can and did cost the above people money and they do not deserve it. There is another winery with a similar name which fits your description, I know both very well, but fattoria Montagliari is one of the best in the Panzano area and in the whole Chianti region and is run by very polite people which are nothng like those you descrbe.
Posted on: Jun 02, 2011
Dr_Seuss says:
Just say what you really think Vikram :D
Posted on: Jul 25, 2010
moshers_moll says:
Hmm the desserts look extremely yummy but yep I'll take your advice and give this place a miss!
Posted on: Jul 24, 2010

Compare Greve in Chianti Hotel Rates (5.4km away)

Ristorante Fattoria Montagliari Map