Ripley's Believe It or Not

901 North Ocean Boulevard, Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Ripley's Believe It or Not Myrtle Beach Reviews

vances vances
I Don’t Believe It! Mar 20, 2016
I walked from my hotel to registration for the half marathon, four miles either way. Being off season, much of Myrtle Beach was closed down, but not everything. I spotted the Ripley’s “believe it or not” venue on the way there, and could not overcome being a sucker for roadside attractions on the return. As a child I had been a Ripley fan and vaguely recall my other visit some 45 years ago, I believe in St. Augustine, Florida. That initial exposure pre-dated modern multimedia, so I was astonished by the vast collection of curios presented…setting me up to expect a repeat performance and be terribly disappointed.

It was actually a fun experience and maintained a nice balance between the museum’s original soul and today’s technological entertainment. To be certain, the majority of exhibits were probably identical to Ripley’s original oddities: freaks of nature, unusual cultural practices and amazing coincidences. Most of this still held my interest, though I am sure it would have gotten boring quickly if not supplemented by modern interactive exhibits, intriguing puzzles and high tech visuals. These were all blended together nicely so you never sank to a level of believing the museum was a rip off.

That said it is still not a great value. I paid $15 for admittance and was through everything in about forty minutes. However, it almost seems a necessity when you are a tourist in a beach town. I was surprised that Ripley’s has expanded from their original brand and the museum anchors several other attractions: an aquarium and a “haunted adventure” are all in a line on the same block in downtown Myrtle Beach. Your ticket to the museum earns discounts for all others, and everything was open for business, which surprised me since it was off season and the streets were pretty much empty. One can only imagine how much they rake in if they are able to stay open during slow times.

I should also mention they sponsor a giant video arcade. Of course there is no entrance fee for this, but you may not be surprised to learn that this is where you wind up when you exit the museum!
Ready to be amazed???
Sideshow attractions have long bee…
...and Lizardman got a lot of atte…
Replica of world's tallest man
EmyG says:
odd place :P
Posted on: Mar 21, 2016
monkeymia79 says:
I haven't been to one of the Ripley museums yet but I want to. Thanks for the review.
Posted on: Mar 21, 2016