1431 Larimer St , Denver, CO, USA - (303) 820-2282
Rioja - My gluten free 'bread' -- papadums, made of chickpeas.
Rioja - My appetizer -- a really thick cut of bacon, seasoned with cardamom
Rioja - My entree, lamb cooked two ways
Rioja - Lisa's dessert -- smores!

Rioja Denver Reviews

Eric Eric
Best Restaurant in Denver? Oct 07, 2010
Rioja's website bills itself as the "best restaurant in Denver", and while we didn't have much to compare it to, it certainly was quite good. It's located in a trendy area of Denver, along Larimer St, which has a lot of high end boutiques, restaurants and clubs, but the other patrons we saw eating here were mainly older couples and families.

They use mainly local and organic ingredients, and hand you a nice paper describing the source of their food and philosophy along with the menu. I had the Colorado lamb, cooked two ways (since we were in Colorado) for my entree. It was good and tasty, but I'm not sure I'll remember it after a few weeks ;)

My dessert was definitely more memorable, and quite delicious. I had peanut butter flavored marshmallows, served next to little dabs of jam and carmelized sugar of some sort. The idea was to mix the the marshmallow with the jelly and sugar, creating the most elegant peanut butter and jelly sandwich taste you've ever had. There was also a delicious sorbet on the side. I'm not sure this dessert was even on the menu, but they brought it out to me because I can't eat gluten (wheat).

This was just one example of the excellent service. It was Lisa's birthday, so they also brought her out a complimentary dessert, and a card signed by the staff. Service was friendly, cheerful and unobtrusive.

I don't know if I'd recommend this place for a "trendy" dinner out on the town, but if you like good food at a fair price, excellent service, and a comfy atmosphere, it's worth checking out.
My gluten free "bread" -- papadums…
My appetizer -- a really thick cut…
My entree, lamb cooked two ways
Lisa's dessert -- smores!
yadilitta says:
thanks for the tip! Excellent service is the most important!
Posted on: Oct 07, 2010